Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

wheelless landings

Old 03-31-2005, 12:11 PM
eggvoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheelless landings

What happens to the prop when landing without wheels? What and how should the bottom side be reinforced? Presently learning on an Estarter with the wheels on (most of the time) and have a Formosa on order. Will be switching to grass fields from snow and ice and probably will have to keep the wheels off. Thank-you. Larry
15 flights- 10 landings
Old 03-31-2005, 12:17 PM
pda4you

Default RE: wheelless landings

The prop simply kicks to the "level" or horizontal postition when it hits the ground. It can be a bit tough on props, but I have also had belly landers (like my Ace simple 400 in my avatar) go a whole season on one prop before breaking. I have flown the formosa with and without wheels. I like the touch and goes it did, so choose to keep them on.

The foam will need to be protected as it won't take much abuse. You could use fiberglass cloth and water based poly urathane product and paint the formosa. This adds significant durability to the foam. Applied properly it will only add an ounce or two.

If you don't want to do that you can use stranded packing tape. Apply it to the fuse bottom and wing tips. That stuff is super strong.

Mike
Old 03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
eggvoel

Thanks Mike for the info. I am new to this and am overwhelmingly impressed at the help on this site. When I get done being overwhelmed i will back track and see what I can contribute to the site to make sure it is there for all of us. I still find it hard to believe that I can ask a question at noon where i can at work and come home at night and find an answer. Many thanks to everyone. Larry
Old 03-31-2005, 07:08 PM
flyingace451

Belly landings, I find, are much easier to do than regular hard surface wheel landings. I'm a newb to flying so I am not too good at landing yet. Normally I just let my plane glide in and keep the throttle going until I'm just above the ground and then give it a blip and walk over to pick it up. I feel uncomfortable flying over hard surfaces just in case I crash.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:35 AM
pda4you

No problem Larry - I should have noted that you will love the Formosa! It is one of my all time favorte planes. That is saying something as I have been doing this for 26 years![X(]
Old 04-01-2005, 12:20 PM
eggvoel

Thanks guys. I've been reading a bunch of sites on the Formosa. I hope the 2c1500mah Lipo will have enough power. I will be switching all the gear from the Estarter into it. The Estarter has the 400 motor in it. Fast enough for me as a trainer and 15+ minutes full throttle flight time, but hope the Formosa will climb faster with the 350. Larry