Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using both Electric Ducted Fans and Fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Using both Electric Ducted Fans and Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 08:49 AM
ljhmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using both Electric Ducted Fans and Fuel

Please try to keep from rolling on the floor. I have been working on a project for almost a year, at leats on the drawing board. Now I have started the process of putting it together (spending money). I am building, trying to build a Starship. You heard it. It will be powered with a 91 and the rudder will operate the ducted fans located in the neccells to turn left or right. I still may install ailarons just in case.

I'm not sure how the ducted fans will work with everything else. I would very much like to use the fans to turn only. However if I could use them as power along with the 91 I would like to, you know with a flick of a switch.

I know this is a lot of dreams, but in September I want to fly it at a Make-A-Wish fund raiser. If anything it will look good to all the kids there, even the big ones.

If there are any treke's out there with comments let me know. I have a lot of the question ansewered, maybe.... CG is still hanging out there....Oh well

Lawrence
Omaha, Nebraska
Old 04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Using both Electric Ducted Fans and Fuel

First thing I would do is build a 1ft. wingspan glider to get a feasable design, and to find out where the C G needs to be.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:00 PM
ljhmc

The design is set and is workable and the CG is almost just behind the prop. It is just the thought of starting it out when complete. Once the Ducted fans are working as I wish I will ajust the balance from under the bottom pod (less fuel)

Thanks, any word on the workings of the ducted fans and the 91?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:02 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

well, in theory, you should be able to run the Gas/Electric motor combo without a problem. Either you will need a fancy computer radio to program it, or mechanical speed controls from RC cars.

another idea to keep it simple... I came across somewhere a pic of one someone had made that was a simple foamy pusher with elevons..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21959.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	254858  
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2005, 02:29 PM
ljhmc

Thanks for the pictures. Those were the same one I started looking at a while ago, also read an artical on how it was built. All that reading got to thinking (now thats bad) the design was drawn up and the building has been started. the necells will be 37" while the whole thing will be 67".

Still looking for input on the Electric and Fuel concept. One comment was the fans will not be enough power to turn the starship. Well if thats the case I will reverse the fans and use them much like a tractor tread.

Thanks to all and keep the comments coming, remember this is for a fund raiser for KIDS Make-A-Wish

Lawrence J Hasslinger
Omaha, Nebraska
Old 04-07-2005, 03:16 PM
BadSplice

I would advise against having the fans reverse direction.... not only are the blades much less effecient in reverse, but the forward thrust would probably have a negative effect on stability. I would suggest working some rudders onto the arms that connect the nacells to the body. they would fit right in with the design, and you could still use the fans to improve the speed and turning. It would be cool if there was a way to set it up so that the fans both run if youre flying straight, but when you turn the inside one slows or stops. that way, you would be getting the full power for straight flying.

also, how were you planning to work the elevator? it occours to me that if they went out at a 45* angle, the nacell arms would make a nice V-tail, and all your controls could be hidden right there...
Old 04-08-2005, 08:55 AM
ljhmc

Thats a great idea.... I was working on that last night and thought how I was going to construct the supports and how I was going to hide the weight, yea. I also started working on the main body, wow that sucker is going to be big.

As far as the power I will be using a 91. I dont think the fans are going to be needed to fly straight. the width of the nacell supports is 2.5" and approx. .66 in thickness at 10" of free clearence from body to nacell. I will start the design of the elevator system tonight. Now I can't wait to get on my computer and see how it will work and look.

THANKS for thwe input. GOD I love this sight, its like having everyone in my shop and helping out.

Lawrence
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 AM
BadSplice

Promise us pics as soon as theres some to be had
Old 04-08-2005, 01:43 PM
ljhmc

That's a given