Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Small pylon plane (27.5" - 7.5oz), cheap brushless?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Small pylon plane (27.5" - 7.5oz), cheap brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small pylon plane (27.5" - 7.5oz), cheap brushless?

Hi all,

I want to go brushless on my little racer plane:

Its 27.5" wide, and the plane weighs in at 7.5oz. with RX and servos. No battery pack, motor and esc. Its origionally designed for speed 300 to 400 motors, and the motor gets mounted eighter with a frontplate, or just wrapped in tape and pushed in the hole with a little dab of glue.

So, what would it take to get it to do unlimited verticle? I dont want state of the art, in fact, the cheaper the better. I dont want to spend tomuch money, I just want to get a first taste in brushless and lipo. Id preffer a canned brushless, because those outrunners need to be backmounted, wich results in an ugly lump on the nose.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Small pylon plane (27.5" - 7.5oz), cheap brushless?

If you want cheap brushless, check out the BP12 outrunner from Balsa Products. It should yank your plane around pretty well, and I believe the motor and ESC are only around $60, TOGETHER. For power, a 3S LiPoly in the 1200mAh range should do the job.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Freakazoid

I dont want to put an outrunner on there, I need something that can be hidden inside the fuselage. Putting an outrunner on there, would result in an ugly bulging nose.

I was thinking maybe a typhoon 6-15 with a Tsunami 10?
3cell 500mAh for the crazy stuff, and 2cell 1200mAh for cruizing ar a fair speed.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

It won't be an ugly bulging nose if you mount the motor inside the cowl...

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the "typhoon" motors. Is there any information available on them?

To get the performance you want, you have to have enough Watts going through the motor, and the motor has to be able to handle it. Now is that 7.5oz RTF, or empty?

All-up, you want around 50-60 Watts. That's a 3S LiPoly at 5 Amps. 5 Amps has got to be well within the capabilities of the motor, but it's definitely within the capabilities of the ESC.

Empty, figure on 14-16 ounces ready to go. For speed, you'll want 100 Watts or more. That's a 3Sl LiPoly at 10 Amps. A 500mAh LiPoly won't do it at that weight. You'd need a 3S 1200+mAh pack. 10 Amps is borderline for the ESC, and we still need to figure out if the motor can take it.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Freakazoid

The empty chassis is 3.35oz. (95gr.)
The Servos are 0.62oz. (18gr.) for both of em together.
The reciever is 0.31oz. (9gr.)
That totals to about 4.28oz (122gr.) For a motor/esc/battery ready plane.

I have some 7cell AAAsize 700mAh. NiMH packs that weigh 3.1oz. (90gr.) each, and maybe those are usable, but im not sure.

I dont think its possible to sink a motor that spins on the outside, into the cowl. I think its to tight for that, because its only designed for an sp300 motor. Id much rather push it in and glue it stuck, or mount it with a couple screws on the front, after glueing in a mountplate.