Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

this isnt supposed to happen to electrics...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

this isnt supposed to happen to electrics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 07:52 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this isnt supposed to happen to electrics...

Well, had a funny experience this morning. My brother and I were out flying, it was beautiful, but the wind was just coming up... just as it was getting too windy for my brother to be flying his slow stick anymore, he decided he needed "just one more" so off he goes.... about 30 seconds later he shouts no more throttle...... but the motor is screaming. the ESC just had had it, and opened up wide. lasted over 15 min running around waiting for it to get slow enough to land. (no prop saver, and brand new prop, shaft and gear)

anyway, all was well, but I had only heard of this sort of thing happening to the gassies, when a throttle servo craps out... Just wanted to share
Old 04-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: this isnt supposed to happen to electrics...

Among my bad-smelling ESCs is one that's stuck at full-throttle.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Time Pilot

I've never heard of this happening before! Is it very common or brand specific? Any idea what causes it to happen?
Old 04-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Tall Paul

I have 2 Graupner's, 5 Wattage's that are fully cooked.. the "always on" ESC is a Jeti 250. It's the only Jeti that has failed me. I have several others.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

One failure is not grounds to condemn a brand, especially a brand with a good reputation like Jeti.

Generally one of two things cause an ESC to fail once it makes it past the "infant mortality:"

1. Abuse, whether accidental or intentional, like running it beyond its specifications or connecting it to the battery backwards.
2. Random happenstance. Electronics can fail at any time for any reason.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

it was a really cheap esc anyway...... it was out of a predator (brother of the t-hawk) It has one of those little buttons to arm the motor, instead of arming at idle. Just thought it was pretty funny...... freaked my bro out trying to fly in high wind with no throttle...
Old 04-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Well Badsplice at least you didnt loose a plane like I did today...I was flying my Funtana mini, Himax 400 and castle 25esc 3cell lipo. It was the second flight of the day and everything was fine then suddenly I lost motor and complete radio. Nothing I could do but watch it go in...still dont know why but I have yet to check out the speed control...it has to be that cause I dont know what else it could be to cut everything off like that. the esc is plugged directly to the RX, no switches to fail,,, well maybe the esc plug to the RX worked itself loose. I was taking this plane to SEFF too....oh well now I'm down to 2 planes for Seff...anybody else going by the way?

Ron