Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

wire size?

Old 04-22-2005, 03:40 PM
rpat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wire size?

HI guys,
I am going to convet my A-10 from the punny55's to the 300 set up. I am going to have to make a new connector from the ESC to the motors and was wondering what size wire to use. the set up will draw about a total of 16 to 18 amps. I know that if I use a larger guage wire set up I will be safe but I would prefer to use the proper guage wire for this.
Thanks
Rich
Old 04-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: wire size?

As you said, heavier wire won't hurt a bit, and will actually help with efficiency a little bit.

My general rule of thumb is, the wire that's on the ESC is the "right" wire for the job. I use the same gauge or slightly heavier wire than they put on the ESC at the factory.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:05 AM
rpat

Default RE: wire size?

Thanks for your input Matt. I was always under the impression that if you use heaver wire than necessary that it would be less efficent. I am no Electrical engineer by no means that is why I ask some silly questions.