Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you have a "keep-in-the-car" aircraft?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - Electric power
63.46%
Yes - Glow Power
7.69%
Yes - Gas power
1.92%
Yes - Glider - No power
0%
No
5.77%
No - silly idea
0%
No - Interesting idea
15.38%
Other
5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a "keep-in-the-car" aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:07 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Do you have a "keep-in-the-car" aircraft?

Do you have a model aircraft, of any kind, that lives in your car/truck/boat/plane/RV that is ready to go whenever opportunity strikes?

I want this question to be open to any kind of aircraft, but could not decide where to put it, and most forums frown on posting the same thing in multiple places. I put it in the electric forum as I presume this is the most likely type to fit the bill, but yours may not be electric. Tell us about it.

Make and model

Power source/if any

How do you use it?
Flying in the park
Fly at beach?
Slope soaring?
At work?
Some other way?
Any time any where?

Why this one?
Convenience of transport? -
Easy to replace?
Some other reason?

Tell us all about it!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:13 AM
aeajr

Default RE: Do you have a "keep-in-the-car" aircraft?

HobbyZone Aerobird Challenger, RTF. This plane lives in my car all the time so if a flying opportunity comes up, I am ready to go.

It comes in a box that doubles as the storage and transport hanger. Strap on the wing and fly. It includes the radio and the battery charger. Radio takes 8 AA batteries so I don't have to plan ahead to charge it. I keep a spare set in the box. I carry a spare wing, 6 battery packs as well as the combat module, night fly module and the bomb drop module. I also carry a roll of tape for on the spot repairs.

I fly it mostly at an AMA field, but I have flown it in parks, school yards, at the beach and just open fields. I have never knowingly flown it on anyone's private land or in violation of any rules/regulations or ordnances. No one has ever bothered me about flying it.

Obviously it is a parkflyer, but I also like to climb and hunt for thermals. I have flown it as a slope glider as well. I power it out to the lift, then turn off the motor and soar the slope.

Total $ value of what I carry is about $325 if I had to replace it.

This is the plane I used to learn to fly. It is not the best at anything, but it seems to do everything adequately so that it can be my all around, fly any time, anywhere plane. I have introduced many people to flying on this plane. And, if I fly it in a high risk situation, it can take some pretty severe knocks and parts are cheap and widely available.

Have not taken it on plane trips as it would be a bit large to casually take with me. I have been thinking of picking up a Carbon Falcon for that purpose.

All around fun plane!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:07 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a car, I have a truck. [>:] So I guess I can't vote, not that I would anyway. [sm=punching.gif]
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2005, 07:26 AM
MerlinL14

I don't have a car, I have a truck. So I guess I can't vote, not that I would anyway.
So rather than posting something constructive, you decided to hijack this thread and show the world how RUDE you are.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put Other, as I carry both glow and electric. A GWS Tigermoth 400, Shocky and homebuilt Pogo. Glows are Coroplast Pizza Box and Spad 3D. Retired so all I need is room for groceries and a beer box.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:34 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I travel via car quite a bit. When I do I take these two guys with me and make a solid attempt to fly at an AMA field but when they get weird I will find a park or other suitable place some distance away. I mention weird because one club wanted me to fork over $200 membership dues for the 4 times a year I would fly with them.[&:] Mind you a typical session would be 45 min at the most on a weekday evening. I have other friends I have met in NC via RCU and we have a great time when I come thru town for emergency flying sessions. I'm talking to you Raymond!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69813.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	263355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58508.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	263356  
Old 04-26-2005, 08:45 AM
exeter_acres

I try and take my Zagi along
Old 04-26-2005, 03:32 PM
-pkh-

I voted yes-electric, but I don't keep it in the car 100% of the time... I just bring it to work with me on days that might be conducive to foamy flying (clear, warm, little wind). I have too much $$$ into the radio, electronics, batt packs, and charger to just leave it all in my car 100% of the time! I wouldn't be too broken up if someone stole my car stereo, but if they got my Futaba 9C, Triton charger, BL motor/ESC, and all of my LiPo packs, I'd be really depressed!

Oh, and to answer your other questions:

Make and model: Homemade Bluecor Foamies

Power source/if any: BL electrics

How do you use it?: Sport/Aerobatic flying
Flying in the park: Yes.
Fly at beach?: No (none nearby).
Slope soaring?: No.
At work?: Yes.
Some other way? AMA charter club field.
Any time any where? Within reason!

Why this one?
Convenience of transport? Yes
Easy to replace? Yes, easy to fix/replace
Some other reason? Small/Safe enough to fly at park/work, quiet, and no clean up required (like nitro).
Old 04-26-2005, 09:47 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

I voted yes-electric, but I don't keep it in the car 100% of the time... I just bring it to work with me on days that might be conducive to foamy flying (clear, warm, little wind). I have too much $$$ into the radio, electronics, batt packs, and charger to just leave it all in my car 100% of the time! I wouldn't be too broken up if someone stole my car stereo, but if they got my Futaba 9C, Triton charger, BL motor/ESC, and all of my LiPo packs, I'd be really depressed!
Close enough. Call it the grab and go plane. You qualify. You win!

Old 04-27-2005, 06:22 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted other, since there was no All of the Above category. On a given day my car may have from one to twelve planes or flying machines, from simple FF hand launched gliders through rockets and control liners up to 60 powered RC jobs. And in my locker at work, I have a couple rubber powered indoor free flight models.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:01 AM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

My Slo-V is always in my car's back window shelf. My new Alfa Corsair is in the trunk waiting for a wind-free day to go to the field after work for its maiden. My E-Flite Ultimate is also waiting for a calm day for a lunchtime maiden at the local park.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:25 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If there have been any common planes in my car that were carried more than any other, the first was a scratch built 15 powered Quick Stick (Same as Balsa USA Swizzle stick, but built from RCM article) for almost 8 years, a scratch built rc Spook 72 SAM old timer for about 9 years, a Kyosho Cessna Cardinal, erc for almost 10, and for the last 4 years or so, a Wattage Mirage 2000 ERC. But, along with these has been a long line of FF hand launched gliders.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:15 AM
danoman

I don't keep one in the car anymore, but I used to keep my Sig Hummer in the car. On my lunch breaks, I'd go out and fly at the field next to work. (got alot of people into flying R/C... hehehe)

I have a 5 member family now... and my GP Spirit just won't fit in the trunk... hahaha.
I like keeping a plane in the car, but the covering always sagged a little in the heat when I lived in Florida.[:'(]

Now I live in Maine, (it still gets hot up here...hehehe) but, this summer I plan on getting a small park flyier to keep in the car this year.

Danoman...
Old 05-01-2005, 06:52 PM
aeajr

Parkflyers or even park gliders are great keep in the car planes. Also, if you like some personal involvement, discus launched gliders make great keep in the car planes.

My friend has one, the Seeker, that has a 1M wing span and comes apart very easily for transport and storage.

There there is the carbon Falcon, a totally portable, foldable, electric parkflyer. There are lots of choices.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:10 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Sig Lil Rascal (electric, 29" w/s) or tiger 400(also elesctric)for me... And I too have a truck, so sometimes I have quite a "fleet" riding around with me, especially if I get lazy about cleaning and putting away the slimers from the morning flying sessions(I work nights).

As to where I fly... usually at the club field, but also at work(parking lot), park about a block from my house(yes-I fly while walking there!), I've also been known to just pull off the road at random spots and get a "fix". Oh yeah, don't forget the parking lot at Wally-world when I get sent to pick up groceries!

Edit:
Good idea on the locker at work!!! I hadn't thought of that one before!
Old 05-02-2005, 04:54 AM
danoman

I got one now...

I went ahead and got an Ultrafly PC-9.

This thing should raise some eyebrows... hehehe.
My GP Spirit is a NASA project for now... I'm trying out some experiments with it. (thinking of mounting various things to it, cameras and stuff) Being that way, I felt I needed to go ahead and glue the spars together, as the wing loading is a little higher than the average GP Spirit. The extra weight does allow me to punch out of those stiffer thermals though...

Danoman...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 AM
26ray

You Bet.... I keep my hobby lobby - Reflex with brushless in my truck, its extended cab and it fits nicely behing my seat. I actually have space where I work to fly, but it is rather dusty here. Its not concrete or paved, but a crushed / packed dirt / rock lot. Anyway, I still hand launch it, and for landings I try to more or less do a harrier style / drop landing instead of gliding it in, like a rolling landing. Anyway, I just thought I would post my 2cents since I havnt posted in awhile.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Lokihaus
My Feedback: (8)

I voted Yes, in the car, Electric. Although it's not really in the car. =) It's hangin' right next to me, here at work. There's a baseball field not 200 feet from my office that I usually go fly at, lunches, breaks or after work. But I usually take the SpeedWing 250 with me whenever I'm going outta town, like up to my my folks. I woud highly recommend this sweet little wing, even stock engine with a NiMh set up it's a fast little ship. Take a look at the link below for more info on the SpeedWing series.

I fly it stock, with a Johnson 250 motor.
7 Cel-NiMh
Flown it at work and at my Local flying club, the Lawn Darts in Sturbridge, MA! =) Their anual fee is like 20-25 bucks... but maybe because they're located right behind a land fill and it can stink up to high heaven there sometimes! But it's fun trying to hit the turkey vultures. =D

http://www.speedwing.net/

-m
Old 05-04-2005, 09:21 AM
26ray

-M , the speed wings are cool. I have seen a few other brands before but not these. The price is good and includes motor and some other stuff, I may have to buy one of these real soon. The MicroWing is cool and in the video... Shew, it looks real fast and small, like a pocket rocket airplane.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:54 PM
geigerr

I keep my Grasshopper (profile FF blu cub) in the car and try to fly at my work place, either on the baseball field or if it is windy---in the GYM, before work or at lunch. C-YA RL