Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

T-Hawk,, LiPo batt & moter easy replacement ??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 12:37 PM
rcfun2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Hawk,, LiPo batt & moter easy replacement ??

Hi,
Going tp go to lipo batt and more efficient motor,,
-goal 1 - easy plug and play changes
-goal 2 - lots more flight time,
-goal 3 - no over heating or other problems
-goal 4 - maybe some performance gains

really looking to rock solid solutions,,, I am not much of tinker , just want to fly

any experiences would really help.

Thanks so much….
Old 05-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-Hawk,, LiPo batt & moter easy replacement ??

I'm thinking 3S LiPoly and AXi outrunner. Specs say 18oz, and my usual 100W/lb would rip the wings off, but heck, let's put 100W on it and see what happens. With a 3S LiPoly, we're shooting for around 10 Amps draw.

That plane has clearance for a 7" prop maximum, I believe, so we're limited there. I'm looking at the tables on www.modelmotors.cz, and it looks like the AXi 2212/20 draws 14 Amps on a 10-cell NiMH with an 8x5 prop, so it'll draw roughly the same on a 3S LiPoly. Drop the prop size down to 7x5 so it doesn't chop the tail off the plane, and in theory we should be right square in the middle of the ballpark.

The AXi should bolt right in, and Hobby Lobby has a pretty decent deal on the motor and ESC as a package. To finish the project, you'll also need a prop adapter.

Oh, I forgot the battery. Any currently-available pack of approximately 1000mAh or larger will do the job. You're probably going to run into balance issues if you go with the smallest pack, since it's in the nose of the plane, so a larger battery, or maybe a couple in parallel.