Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 01:56 PM
MikeS
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric conversion

I bought a Jamara Spitfire on eBay. When I got it, I was impressed with its lightweight construction, and naturally thought of an electric conversion.
My electric exp so far is with speed-400 sized airplanes, and I have been promised one of jim Ryan's Wildcats from the first batch he receives, and I want to go brushless with that, so electric funds are very limited. I am, therefore, looking for a brushed solution.
Stats:
65" ws
~700 sq. in. wing area
~4.5 pounds weight before engine and servos.

The Modelair Tech HD 1000 beam or firewall mount with a DeWalt 18v motor on 20 cells sounds right.
Here's the rub:
I want to keep the current down so to get 10 minute flights mixed throttle. This is where experience of electricalc comes in. What is the best cell count/prop combo that will fly this plane very well at full throttle (i'm not looking for 3D - just scale warbird flight)?
Is there a better motor that the Dewalt? Speed 700 or perhaps a car motor?

Thanks very much for your help.

Mike