Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GEARS ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 AM
Dctjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEARS ?

CAN ANYONE EXPLANE THE USE OF GEARS, ADVANTAGES, AND WHICH ONE TO USE?
I HAVE A HOUSE OF BALSA T-6 TEXAN WIT AN ASTRO O5 MOTOR. ON 6 1000ma CELLS IOT RUNS 2 MIN. AND THE
BATTERIES GET VERY HOT.

CAD4U
E-MAIL [email protected]
Old 05-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: GEARS ?

I will if you quit shouting at me

Gearing down the motor multiplies its torque, allowing the motor to turn a much larger propeller at a lower RPM. This is advantageous because air is a fluid, it flows like water. The less you whip the air, the better "bite" the prop can get on it. Even though the prop is spinning at a lower RPM, it's "traction" on the air is so much better than before that the plane's top speed isn't affected much (assuming a REASONABLE gear reduction, not an extreme one). The bigger prop also produces much more thrust, which allows the plane to accelerate better.

Gearing isn't your problem, though.

In your case, just from looking at the details you did provide, your batteries are physically too small to handle the current being drawn by the motor. 1000mAh batteries are more suitable for smaller "400" size motors which draw up to 12 Amps. That Astro 05 could be drawing as much as 25-30 Amps, twice what a typical battery of that capacity can handle. No wonder they're getting hot and giving out early...

Which HOB AT6 is this? If it's the newer "park flyer" size from Nick Ziroli, the Astro 05 is way too big and heavy anyway. If it's the bigger 1/12 scale, the Astro 05 is more appropriate, but you'll need bigger batteries. I would recommend 4/5A cells like the CBP2000 or Sanyo HR4/5FAUP, both available from many vendors, including www.cheapbatterypacks.com and www.dynamoelectrics.com. (Man I wish I was getting advertising considerations for as much as I push CBP... Just a happy customer, though )
Old 05-24-2005, 07:35 AM
stewarth

What battery do you recommend for that Astro 05 and how much plane will it fly?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Dctjr

Thanks Matt! As soon as i can i'll make the changes and let you know the results.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Dctjr

Oh. Matt, sorry about shouting. I didn't know I was. Comunicating with a keybord is new to me, in fact this was my first question ever. Once again Sorry!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
stewarth

My Hobbico SSEP came with a speed 600 abd esc with no identifying marks and a 8.4 2100 mh
battery. I want to reduce weight. Can I switch to Lipo's. Recommendations?
Old 05-30-2005, 07:10 AM
stewarth

I need to add the capicitors to my speed 600 so it won't interfere with my radio. Could you tell me hat size to purchase from my local radio shack and according to waht I read I need three. poles to can and pole to pole, correct? Thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 07:39 AM
stewarth

I need to add the capicitors to my speed 600 so it won't interfere with my radio. Could you tell me hat size to purchase from my local radio shack and according to waht I read I need three. poles to can and pole to pole, correct? Thanks