Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rascal 40-which Phazor setup?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Rascal 40-which Phazor setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 08:37 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rascal 40-which Phazor setup?

I just picked up a Rascal 40 to convert to electric. A couple guy in the club have put Phazor 45/3's on theres 16 cp1700's and they fly great but I happen to have a Phazor 30/3 doing nothing. My question is...would I get comparaible performance if I geared the 30 and used cp1300 cells? I have a 7 cell and 8 cell and a 9 cell pack that I could combine. Like the 9 and 7, which would give me 16 cells like the guys are running on the 45/3 direct. The gearbox is 50 bucks from HL but a Phazor 45/3 is 150.00 Any advice or should I just put a Saito 72 on it and overpower the hell out of it.

Ron
Old 10-10-2002, 11:46 AM
robhoneycutt

Its a great plane , and does not require overpowering for performance!
I am not sure if you can have unbalanced packs or not, or if its enough power.. I am running 16 x 2400 cells with a Hacker B50 6:7:1 Gear and a 13-6 prop.. She runs wide open.. Its my best performing plane.. Not any bad habits at all to speak of.. I have read a couple of posts of people saying it doesn't track on the ground right with the landing gear, but I have not had that problem.. Check your wing joiners too, some of them were out of spec, and some wings have folded because of it..
New Creations RC in Willis Texas can run the program for you, on the phone. They can help see if what you have will work.. Ask For Kirk.. 936-856-4630
Old 10-11-2002, 12:05 AM
Flatspin-RCU

Default Rascal

Thanks Rob for the info..if I had lots of money I would just buy a Hacker myself but I'm going to try and use what i have. Then if its not making it I'll have to pop for the high dollar system I guess.

Ron
Old 10-20-2002, 04:09 AM
BEC

You could probably do what you propose - but be careful of the RPM limit of the motor - the bigger Phasors (45-3 and 30-3) are good to about 15000 RPM only.

The converted Rascal 40s around here are running Megas, but there's no reason what you suggest won't work with a little careful prop/gearbox matching.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:56 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Default rascal

Well I flew the rascal today on the geared 30/3, 10 cp1700's, 14x5 zinger prop. it flew for about 5 min but the power was pretty lame. I made and adapter to combine a 6 and 8 cell cp1300 pack but the esc would not even let the plane come on...guess I need to change ESC to the opoto controler. any way I can use or turn off the bec on my controler and still use a seperate battery for the rx? If not I guess I'll have to spend 300 bucks for a Hacker setup. Who said electric flying was cheap!!??
8^)

Thanks for the replys guys!!

Ron
Old 10-20-2002, 06:18 PM
BEC

The Jeti controllers have a self-protective feature that prevents them from arming the motor if the voltage is too high so yes to use more than 12 cells you'll need the Jeti opto controller or one of another make.

10 cells is a bit low for a plane that size.....

A 14X5 Zinger??!? You are way underpropped, with a prop that isn't all that great at the speeds you'd be turning it.

Try a 14X10 APC-E prop - that will get the power and the pitch speed up to something a bit more reasonable for such an airframe and is away cheaper than buying other power system components. But in the long run you'll need more cells and therefore an ESC that can take more.