Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Superstar Electric motor swap question

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Superstar Electric motor swap question

Old 06-09-2005, 11:13 PM
red5033

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superstar Electric motor swap question

I Recently purchased Hobbico's Superstar electric 3 channel rtf. Yesterday while flying I eneded up putting her nose first in the ground during a bad landing. Fortunately the damage was minor and mostly to the motor, which was not repairable. Question: I have a brand new 20 turn motor off of my son's Traxxas Stampede R/C truck (he upgraded). The prop mounts right onto the motor shaft with no problem and the motor fits perfectly. Can I use this motor? Is there sufficient power as compared to the stock motor and can the speed control handle it? Lastly, If this motor wont cut it, what can anyone suggest for not alot of $$???

Thanks,
Red

Parkzone J-3 Cub, Slow-V & Hobbico Supertar
Old 06-10-2005, 05:20 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Superstar Electric motor swap question

I read your post and I too have this plane, however, I am still a beginner and have'nt flown it yet. I'm curious if your are a beginner, intermediate or advanced for my comparison. I am self taught with a slow stick being my trainer and am ready to make the jump. I'm wondering how it flies and how it handles and if you can provide any tips, etc. Thanks in advance and good luck with the power plant replacement.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Superstar Electric motor swap question

For comparison purposes, I believe the stock "600" motor on the Superstar EP is equivalent to a 27 turn car/truck motor. If you try to put the stock prop on the 20-turn motor, it'll have gobs more power, for a while. Sooner, rather than later, something will burn out for sure. You'll notice that flights are shorter. You'll probably discover that the motor is really hot, and probably the battery too. Then one time the motor will quit, or the heat shrink will melt off the battery...

The lower the number of turns, the hotter the motor is. That means it spins faster on a given voltage, and in turn will try to spin the prop faster. The faster you turn a prop, the more power it requires, which means the motor will draw more Amps, probably too many.

You can use the 20-turn motor, but you'll need a gearbox and a bigger prop. Look around for threads on the Superstar EP and the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem. Those gearbox and prop recommendations will work for a 20-turn motor.