Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

putting electric in new airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

putting electric in new airplane

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting electric in new airplane

I am about to start a Balsa USA Bristol M1 and have considered making it all electric. I have been flying the old fashioned electric with can motors and nicads before electric became popular. Mostly powered sailplanes.
Now with the advent of brushless and lipos I'm looking at a whole new world that confuses me no end. The BUSA Bristol is 60" span, 650 SQ inch area, 6 to 6 3/4 pounds. I could put a geared can motor and nicads in it but the weight of brushless and lipos would obviously be a better choice.
The problem is I wouldn't know a watt or volt if it walked in the front door beside a brushless motor. I don't intend to do any 3D or pattern work just regular WWI flying. Loops, rolls, hammerheads etc.
I need expert advice on the modern, up to date electrics. I want to use waterslide decals and go home without an oil covered airplane.
Any help or advice will be appreciated. TNX - ballgunner
Old 06-12-2005, 02:38 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: putting electric in new airplane

[:@]Big AXi
Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: ballgunner

I am about to start a Balsa USA Bristol M1 and have considered making it all electric. I have been flying the old fashioned electric with can motors and nicads before electric became popular. Mostly powered sailplanes.
Now with the advent of brushless and lipos I'm looking at a whole new world that confuses me no end. The BUSA Bristol is 60" span, 650 SQ inch area, 6 to 6 3/4 pounds. I could put a geared can motor and nicads in it but the weight of brushless and lipos would obviously be a better choice.
The problem is I wouldn't know a watt or volt if it walked in the front door beside a brushless motor. I don't intend to do any 3D or pattern work just regular WWI flying. Loops, rolls, hammerheads etc.
I need expert advice on the modern, up to date electrics. I want to use waterslide decals and go home without an oil covered airplane.
Any help or advice will be appreciated. TNX - ballgunner
ballgunner,
An AXI 4120-18 and a 5S2P will give you the performance you are looking for in a scale plane. If you feel that it might top out at 7 pounds, I would step up to the 4130-16 on a Thunderpower 5S2P 4000mah pack and 17x10 prop.

Here is an article that was written by our own Greg Covey. He uses a 4120-14 on a 4S2P (2000mah) in this conversion. The listed weight is 5.6 pounds. Take a look at the video as this will give you a general idea of performance. http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=364

Since you are new to Lipo's, I ask that you read up on them or ask questions as they are a bit different than NICD's and NIMH's and must be handled accordingly. Anything you would like to know about Watt's or volts, please ask those questions as well.

-Mike
Old 06-14-2005, 12:33 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Many thanks Mike Parsons. My questions answered very well. I have a Hobby Lobby Catalog so will look up the recommended parts and see if I have to have a second mortgage. Just kidding ! I'm into WWI scale and there are so many airplanes that would benefit from EP. I like to keep the size down to 60". I use Bob's Aircraft Documentation for sources and make my own plans. I've been building since 1934 and the new EP resources are very exciting. Know anyone who would like to buy some nitro engines?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Mike Parsons

Your most welcome. I am a WWI and WWII scale fan myself. Good luck on this and let us know if you have any questions.
Know anyone who would like to buy some nitro engines?
That is the one question that I cant answer .

-Mike