Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

help with tree rescue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:13 AM
geo8498

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with tree rescue

My GWS zero is in the top of a very high tree. There's no way I can climb to get it. I'd say it's at least 25 ft, maybe more. Plane is in one piece, for now. I'd like to bring it down in one piece, but more importantly, i'd like to recover the $200 worth of equipment. Tried throwing a water bottle at it, but couldn't get the aim. I could use some advice.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:57 PM
av8ersteve
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: help with tree rescue

This has happened to me as well and your not going to believe me but the guys at our local fire department helped me retrieve it. Just went down there and started talking to them about my problem and before I knew it they had a truck out and got it down for me. Also, they didn't charge me a thing, just had to fly it for them.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:20 PM
geo8498

problem solved. Went out there this afternoon, and the wind had blown her out. She was laying in the bush in one piece. A mushed up cowl and small chunk out of the wing. I think the lipo is a gonner though, because it was on all night, and measured in at 2.5volts. Could've been worse.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:09 PM
bboykin

hello next time try the local hardwarestore for pvc pipe it comes in 20 ft sections which slip together for less than 3 bucks each that will give 30 to 40 ft reach hope there is someone to catch plane i keep two joints handy since i live in the country
Old 06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
geo8498

yeah. pvc pipe was going to be my idea if i had to do the tree retrieval. i was even thinking of a net to catcth it.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:32 PM
jerda

When i was starting out, i landed in quite a few trees. I ended up buying a telescopic painting pole at the hardware store. It not as cheap as pvc, but its stiffer and folds up for future use. I had planned on returning it after i was done, but decided to hang on to it anyway. I would think the pvc would bend once you got it up high enough.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 PM
geo8498

I'dlike to see something with a gripper on the end so you can get it out and hold on to it. I wonder if there's something out there like that.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:40 PM
bboykin

show catch king loop at end of pipe like to catch dogs or cats need how do thread rope through pipe correctely
Old 07-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Me-109K4

I maidened a friends plane one day, forgot what it was. I neglected to make sure he had charged the battery, as he was brand new to rc flight. As soon as I was airborne and making a right turn I lost all control and landed in a tree maybe 25-30 feet up. It seemed to be a very climbable tree except that I had 10 staples in my leg, and he was afraid of heights. So eventually we walked over to a basketball court and talked some kids into trying to climb up there and get it. They succeeded in getting up there and shaking it loose, and we practically had to beg them to take $10 for their trouble.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:06 PM
ftomteen4cat

I found out that PVC bends quite a bit. If there's little to no wind, a few helium balloons works pretty well.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:55 AM
chadmay

Helium balloons! Hey, that was my idea! I'll make a post about this. It worked for me once.

I'll start a new thread called "helium balloon rescue for plane in tree" .

- Chad May
Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Half-A-Hec

The funniest tree rescue I have seen involved a potato gun! The owner did recover the engine and radio equipment so I guess it qualifies as a rescue. A potato gun was used to blast this guys plane out of a tree. [X(]. One potato took out a wing, another the tail section, then after about 20 or so potatos a direct hit! The fuselage and remaining wing came tumbling out of the tree. By the way the tree was huge. The plane was at least 40 feet up there. We never laughed so hard! The potato gun operator was a good shot cuz he had the plane out of the tree in about 1/2 an hour.

Hec
Old 11-24-2005, 12:00 PM
drive2survive
My Feedback: (27)

we put one in a very high tree a few yrs back and thier was no way to get that sucker down unless we hired a treetopper $100!!!!! so being intact it sat all winter thru all kinds of weather, fianally blew down in storm, checked it out, charged it up and back in the air.but this was a glow model