Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Great Planes P47

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:08 PM
speedy72vega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes P47

Well, I just picked up a Great Planes P47 Jug, 39 1/2" w/s. The fit and finish looks to be excellent, and the hardware seems to be decent. Has anyone built/flown this plane?
What experiences did you have, good or bad?
I have 2 choices of what motor I can run in it, I have a 35-36-1400 motor, 550 watts, or a 35-42-1000 motor that is 605 watts on 4S. I figure a 10x7 or 11x6 prop?
I can't wait to get this thing together.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
RedGN

Default RE: Great Planes P47

Looks like a nice plane. I just put together a World Models P-47. It look very similar to the GreatPlanes one. It's pretty delicate especially the vertical and horizontal stabilizers.
One major difference is that the World Models P-47 comes with Retractable Landing gear pre installed.

Total weight without battery is around 725 grams.

Hope this Helps
Old 07-04-2009, 09:00 PM
speedy72vega

Well, I got this thing together and maidened it today. After all the trimming and adding a bit more travel than the rates in the manual, it flies great. It flies pretty fast, and is quite stable in flight. It does come in for landings a bit hotter than i'm used to, so it will take a bit of practice. One thing I wasn't ready for though, it required quite a bit of down elevator trim. As soon as I throttled up, it started climbing like crazy. I rechecked the CG, was right on the money. I had one of the very experienced pilots fly it, and he suggested increasing the throws due to the nature of the planes flight characteristics. I readjusted the throws and retrimmed, and it's great.
I am also going to add a steerable tailwheel, as the kit just came with a skid.
The kit is actually quite good for the price. Sheeted fuse, decent hardware, EZ link connectors, but the wing required a bit of massaging to fit, and the lower wing trim panel didn't fit flush. All in all, i'm very satisfied with it, I like it much better than the cheap Electrifly 41" Edge 540 I bought awhile back. I think i'll just put that plane on Craigslist or something .
If anyone is contemplating this plane, I would recommend it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:12 PM
RedGN

Glad to hear all went well
How is to build quality of the Great Planes p47?

The World Models p47 is pretty delicate. I put some epoxy around motor mount and other key stress locations.

Other than that it flew well. The servo i used for the retrats was too weak and stripped the gears.

If you are looking for another p47, check out the world models.... Has retracts and steerable tail wheel.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
speedy72vega

Thanks Red, i'll check it out. The build was easy, the fuse is fully sheeted and very sturdy. The wing is mostly sheeted, but has a few small sections where there are ribs and covering.
I really enjoyed building it, it only took 1 evening. There was 1 thing that was kinda sloppy, there is a plastic filler panel under the wing, and it didn't fit very well.
The thing flies really good, very fast and accurate. I have a 35-36-1400 motor on it that I run at 11.1 volts with a 10x7 prop. It flies quick at only 1/2 throttle, and climbs till you almost can't see it anymore with ease.
This is my first warbird, and so far i'm impressed.
I'm going to go check out the model you are talking about, would be cool to have retracts.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Willit Run 353

I have never flown this model but go for the biggest motor you can fit in the cowl, remember there is no such thing as over-powered

with a huge motor you can fly fast as well as slow but with a smaller motor you can only fly slow (and on a plane this isze it gets boring)
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
RedGN

Almost the exact set-up to mine. Well, really my son's. He 10 and i bought it for him as a gift. He put it together but i helped when he was in trouble.

I also bought him a Mitsubishi Zero by World models however that one is still in the box. Same dimentions ( 39.5 inch Wingspan ) and i think it's probably the same quality.

It also comes with retracts and a steerable tail wheel.

Oh... After the servo stripped in my sons P47 we belly landed it on grass and it barely scatched it after a few landings.

Happy Flying
Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 PM
speedy72vega

Well, I put the P47 into a post last weekend [&o]. Our club had the annual electric fun fly, and I was getting in some flying before the event. I was bringing the Jug in for a landing, and didn't notice someone had set some posts that were set in bases on a corner of the runway. The plane started drifting off to the side of the runway on approach, about 3 feet or so off the ground. Just as I started to steer back towards the center of the runway.........CRACK. The plane disappeared. I ran right into the posts. I was concentrating on the plane, and didn't even see the posts...........
Luckily, only the wing sustained major damage. The fuse is fine, the motor mount popped off along the glue lines, but nothing a little epoxy didn't fix. Slight damage to the elevator, but easy to fix too. I have already orderd a replacement wing, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

This plane flies great, very sleek and fast. I can't wait to get her back up in the air.

P.S. How is the Zero kit?? I want to build either a Zero, or messerschmit (I don't think I spelled that right ).
Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 PM
RedGN

Sorry to hear..... I'm sure it'll be back in the air in no time.

I haven't even open the zero box yet...Building a BD5 now. ( 44" WS )

How many years have you been flying? I have many crash stories.... ( i don't know whether to laugh or cry )
Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
speedy72vega

ORIGINAL: RedGN

Sorry to hear..... I'm sure it'll be back in the air in no time.

I haven't even open the zero box yet...Building a BD5 now. ( 44'' WS )

How many years have you been flying? I have many crash stories.... ( i don't know whether to laugh or cry )
Actually Red, i've only been flying since the end of January this year. I'm completely self taught (I know, not recommended ). I have gotten the bug bad! I already have 7 planes in various states of completion, 5 of them flyable, and I have already sold 2 planes, my old trainer and my Super Cub.
The planes I have are a Mini Ultra stick, an Electrifly 41" Edge 540, a Nitro Planes 63" Extra 330L that I converted to electric, an Eratix 3D, a Profile foamie Edge 540 Kirby Chambliss Red Bull Special, my P47, and a little foam Zoomer. I also had a Stevens Aeromodel Edge 540 that I crashed a couple of months ago. That was a GREAT plane, excellent kit.
I fly every chance I get! Luckily, my local airfield is only 5 miles from my house.
I got my wing today, so my P47 will be ready for this weekend.