Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

First Electric, suggestions appreciated.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

First Electric, suggestions appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 07:57 PM
Ralph78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Electric, suggestions appreciated.

I am considering my first electric R/C project. It will be a S.A.M. R/C electric texaco plane. 400 motor, 800 ma. battery pack. I plan on using a 400-500 inch Playboy Sr. or Lanzo Bomber. Any suggestions as to an inexpensive motor, controller combination? I have NO experience with electric flight, and don't even know where to start, or what I will need. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Ralph78
[email protected]
Old 01-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

Default First Electric

Ralph-

A speed 400, even geared, is very probably too weak for a Sr. playboy or similar. I like to limit speed 400 planes to 24 oz. max plane weight. I've seen Sr. Playboy's, Lanzo's and similar old-timers fly quite nicely on a speed 600 geared 3:1 swinging a 12 to 14 inch prop on 7 or 8 cells. This is a pretty inexpensive setup. For more power, a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem Reverse car motor works well without busting the budget.

I suggest you also post your query on www.rcgroups.com -- it's primarily electric fliers, and you're sure to get many good replies.

Good Luck!

- Craig Logan
Old 01-07-2002, 01:52 AM
Ralph78

Default Re: First Electric

Craig,
Thanks for the info. Based on your comments, I will try 360-400 sq. in. I will need to stay with a geared speed 400 as it is specified in the rules. I am not looking for a lot of performance, just a gentle climb until the battery gives out, then try to find a thermal and go for max duration. I can build a 400 sq. in. ship that will stay under 24 oz including R/C gear, batteries, etc..

Thanks for the other url, I will give it a try.

Best regards,

Ralph

Originally posted by Volture
Ralph-

A speed 400, even geared, is very probably too weak for a Sr. playboy or similar. I like to limit speed 400 planes to 24 oz. max plane weight. I've seen Sr. Playboy's, Lanzo's and similar old-timers fly quite nicely on a speed 600 geared 3:1 swinging a 12 to 14 inch prop on 7 or 8 cells. This is a pretty inexpensive setup. For more power, a Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem Reverse car motor works well without busting the budget.

I suggest you also post your query on www.rcgroups.com -- it's primarily electric fliers, and you're sure to get many good replies.

Good Luck!

- Craig Logan
Old 01-10-2002, 08:56 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

Ralph -- I had a misconception of the Sr. Playboy and Lanzo Bomber size based on the ones I've actually seen fly -- these must have been scaled way up. I was in a hobby shop recently and saw a Sr. Playboy kit that was around 36" span -- much smaller than I remembered. What are the spans/weights of your planes? Sorry if my previous post caused any confusion!

- Craig Logan
Old 01-23-2002, 03:51 PM
Rob Bullion

Need help and advice?

Join your local club!

The guys at my local club (Basingstoke Model Airplane Club, UK) have been great. I bought an ARF electric Glider and they helped to check trim etc and hung on my shoulder to rescue the Tx before my in flight mistakes became crunches. Thankfully they've been genuinely helpful.

Plus they have a dedicated trainer to try on too.

Happy Hunting!
Old 01-24-2002, 10:23 AM
HitecRedneck

Hi Ralph, I'm flying a Miss 2 on a geared speed 400 2.33.1 with a folding 11x8 prop and it goes up real good. Weight is at 27 ounces and I believe the wing span is 50 inches.