Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Component Advice for a Tiger Moth 400

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Component Advice for a Tiger Moth 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 06:33 PM
diviatix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Component Advice for a Tiger Moth 400

Picked up my 3rd plane 2day - GWS Tiger Moth 400 - cause I liked Greg Covey's [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=345]review [/link] and it has a float option. WAY COOL.

Since my other to planes are RTF (Aerobird + Aerobird Xtreme) I have little experience with full-blown gear.

From the review I have been able to determine that a 3-cell Kokam 1500mAh Lithium pack seems to be a good thing... What do you folks advise for radio and such? BTW, I am not particularly flush so price is pretty important. Any advice or tips on outfitting my firt 4 ch will be sincerely appreciated.

Andrew.
-------------------------------
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.
--Voltaire
Old 07-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Component Advice for a Tiger Moth 400

From a pure price perspective, you can't beat the GWS "Dream Starter" radio equipment. It's a little toyish as far as fit, finish and feel go, but it's functional, and as I said, the price can't be beat. I would not doubt but GWS has a radio combo package designed specifically for the TM400.

Basically, you'll need the transmitter, a receiver, and three micro servos like the GWS Naro or Hitec HS55. For the stock motor, an ESC like the GWS ICS400 or ECS400.

Do you plan on using a brushless setup? If you go with the brushed can setup, a 3S LiPoly is a motor-eater. The stock 400 motor can't handle the voltage for long. Stick with a 2S LiPoly, same size. That'll keep the costs down too.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:53 AM
diviatix

Default RE: Component Advice for a Tiger Moth 400

Thank-you Matt for the pointer. After speaking with a few people, I have so far come up with this:

- JRS400 w/ 3 sm15 submicro servos
- ICS 400 ESC
- Kokam lipo 1570 ( I am told if I use WOT sparingly the 400 motor will last -- is this true?)
- Polycharge 2-3 cell lipo charger

Is the JRS400 a good call? Are the sm15 servos comparable to the HITECs that Greg used in his review?

My interest in this hobby seems to be spilling over onto some friends too. So I'd like to be able to have a successful implementation on the Tiger Moth to motivate others to jump on the band wagon... :-)

Gratefully,

Andrew.