Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hobby People's Waco Bipe .25 size

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hobby People's Waco Bipe .25 size

Old 01-08-2002, 06:21 AM
Micro Rotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby People's Waco Bipe .25 size

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone done this conversion?

I have started it and was wondering if I am alone at doing this conversion.

I am using a Jeti Phasor 30/3 with a Kontronik Smile 40-6-12 ESC with 10 CP1700CSR's turning a 9x7 APC prop. I will be done in a few days and I will post some pictures on my web site in a day or two.

Thanks

Bill
Old 01-09-2002, 04:20 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look forward to seeing those pics!
Old 01-19-2002, 02:09 AM
Flatspin-RCU

Default Gobal Waco

Hi Bill..just finished mine today....I hogged out a lot of wood inside the fuse to lighten it up a bit...Phasor 30/3 and Jeti 40 ESC...I was wondering what battery pack to use...cp1700 ten cells was exactly what I had in mind when I readyour post. Only probem I'm having is how to get at the batt...I opened the bottom of the firewall so I can slide a pack in that way but I'm going to have to cut a trap door in the cowl or something so I don't have to remove it every time I fly...or permently mount the battery pack and put in a charge jack...(dont know how to go about that either) let me kknow how yours comes out.

TIA Ron
Old 01-19-2002, 08:53 AM
Micro Rotors

Default Well I did it!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

Well I flew the Waco from Hobby people today just before going to the IMS show today. Let me just say, what a great flying plan! She flew like she was on rails. I highly recommend this as an electric conversion.

Specs:

Motor: Jeti 30/3
Prop: APC 9x7
ESC: Kontronik Smile 40-6-12
Battery: Sanyo 10 cell CP1700SCR Zapped pack
Servos: Ailerons…CS 21’s, Rudder and Elevator Hitec 85BB’s
Weight: 64 oz.

I did not modify the plane in any way except the aileron control horns because the ones supplied did not work. The geometry was just plain wrong so I made my own from 1/8th 5-layer plywood. Also I had to make my own motor mount from aluminum round stock. I know it is a little heavier that the IC version but that can be made up with some CP1300SCR’s. I ran the plane for 4 minutes and I still had power on the 1700’s to go. I will check the full run time tomorrow.

I will post a few pictures here and on my web site. Also there is some flight video on my website.

Thanks
Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1252_833.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1306  
Old 01-19-2002, 08:17 PM
greggf

looks good Bill! i saw the video, very nice. actually the heavier mount isn't a big deal, the i.c. version usually comes out tail heavy. 4lbs. sounds like a good weight for that one. sorry i missed you at the show yesterday, i ran into some friends walking in so i ran a little late.............gregg
Old 01-20-2002, 02:05 AM
Flatspin-RCU

Default Waco

Looks great Bill...makes my grey and black look kinda ugly...know what you mean about the ailerons geometry...decided to tape the top ones stationary and use high rate on the bottom...mite be enough for test flight...figure out something else later..mine came in at 2 1/2 lbs without battery pack and no wheel pants...stuck a 9 cell cp1300 pack and it came in at 3 1/4 lbs...guess ripping out the excess wood from the fuse helped a little...probably more work than it was worth though. I mite fly it tommorrow if one of the guys has a 10 cell pack I can try. I'm going to order a 10 cell CP1700 pack tonite from Hill's. Later and thanks for the info.

Ron
Old 01-20-2002, 02:17 AM
Micro Rotors

Hi Ron,

If you saw the video at my site ,, you will see that there is no need to make this plane any lighter. She hauls booty and flys good at 1/2 throttle.

I will put cooling holes in for the batterys but thats about it.

BTW - I am getting around 7-8 minute flights with varying the trottle.

What did you do for the Motor mount?

Bill
Old 01-20-2002, 02:20 AM
Micro Rotors

Oh ,, forgot to tell you the black and grey ones are discontinued ,, there all red and white now. So if your looking to get one ,, look for those. You can see them. What were they thinking of anyhow.

Bill
Old 01-20-2002, 09:51 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Default Waco

Hi Bill..sounds like a good flyer. I was going to order a batt. pack online but dont know where to find the CP1700's in a ten cell pack. How do you change batt packs? I cut a hole in the front of the lower portion of the dummy radial. I see you did not use it.. I also cut air holes between each cylinder. for a engine mount I just used a glass dubro for a small glow engine and then gooped and cable tied some dubro glass pushrod stock to them to extend them long enough. Cable tied the motor and a dab of goop to each side. I dont know what to do about the aielrons yet but I have to get the batt. pack before I ccan do anything. Im new to this computer stuff so dont know where to look for your vidio?

Ron
Old 01-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Micro Rotors

Hello Flatspin,

I havent figured out the removal of the battery yet. I first wanted to see how it would fly first without changing the firewall so I could put a glow engine on it if the conversion did not work. Also, I did not put the dummy engine cover on so i could check the motor for over heating after the flight. I could not belive it, after a 7 minute run,the motor was only about 80 degrees.

Anyhow the video can be seen by clicking this link Waco Video.

For the battery pack, I got mine from Diversity Models I got the zapped cells. He also has the 1300's if thats what you are looking for.

BTW- I had a little accident today with the WACO. I broke the top wong but it is going to be an easy repair. I dont think I will have to do any recovering, I might be able to just put a small patch of the white covering after the fix and thats, that.

Let me know what you think of the video and if it looks like you will be happy with the way she flies.

Bill
Old 01-22-2002, 05:53 PM
Micro Rotors

Hello Guys,

Here is the motor mount I fashioned for the jeti. It works like a champ!!! It is a solid piece of aluminum turned down on a lathe.

I think I am going to mount all my motors like this from now on. I had to make it long enough to get the prop out of the cowl.

BTW- If any of you are going to make this conversion, I will make the mount for you if you want for $25.00 shipped to you. Or if you have another motor I just need a few dimentions so ust email me.

Name:	1438_833.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1307  
Old 01-22-2002, 05:56 PM
Micro Rotors

Here is another shot of it with the Jeti 30-3 in it with a 9x7 APC prop.

Bill

Name:	1439_833.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1308  
Old 01-30-2002, 07:33 PM
Flatspin-RCU

Default Waco bipe

Hi Bill...nice job on the motor mount...I finally received a battery pack of CP1700-10 cells and flew my Waco. First flight was a trim flight...flew great...second flight...put it through the paces with flat spins, lomchavak (sp) snaps etc...wont hold knife edge but maybe not enough rudder or CG is to far forward..was having so much fun I ran the battery short and had to land in the rough..no damage ,, haven't timed the flights yet but I usually fly balls out (WFO) so about 3 1/2 to 4 min. is all I expect. New battery pack should get better also. seeeyyaaa!

Ron
Old 01-31-2002, 05:17 AM
Micro Rotors

Hi Ron,

Sweet, Its a great flier dont you think?

Here is a page to go look at what I did. It has the conversion link on it.

http://www.microrotors.com/Waco/default.htm

Do you have any pictures of your set up. I took some more but there on the computer at work. I will post them tomorrow night.

Bill
Old 02-05-2002, 11:41 PM
Jim Phelps
My Feedback: (2)

Bill,
What are you doing with a plane with two wings and a prop! Just kidding, after I saw this I had to get one. I have a idle Max-Cim that's just waiting for that plane. Hobby People said they were out of the red ones and only had the black ones. It shipped today so who knows what I'll get.
Jim Phelps