Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

what size for what model

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 01:01 PM
drive2survive
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size for what model

what comes to mind is how can you tell the size of a motor and what model can it be used on, as in>>>>>what size motor will run a certain model, also how can ya tell what size a motor is in relation to a gas motor.. we know a 40 size gas engine will work on a 60 in. wingspan type model..... something like 27/13/4 tells me nothing except deminsions and turns, so we need to have an equivilent in relation to our gas motors, Im aware and have been working with the aveox 400 size motor that will work on a 26 in. pylon type model direct drive, other than that dont know what else this motor is good for...........see what Im getting at??
Old 08-14-2005, 06:41 PM
drive2survive

Default RE: what size for what model

test
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 PM
drive2survive

anyone?????
Old 08-15-2005, 10:06 PM
TubaTom99
My Feedback: (3)

Most manufacturers will give you an idea of how many watts to prop a set-up will deliver. For good flying and good aerobatics, 75 - 100 watts per pound of plane works well. 3D flying needs a little more, upwards to about 150 watts per pound to give you unlimited vertical. 50 watts will do OK sport/trainer type flying and 35 watts is needed for a glider assist. So, a 4lb plane (.40 glo sized plane) will need about 300 and up watts of power to fly it really nicely: i.e for my plane (Global Stick-E, 48 WS, 32 oz) I am using an AXI 2808/24, 3S 2P 3100 mAh pack, and a 40 amp BEC. That will deliver about 155 watts. The plane at WOT will almost hover, but not quite. Once you know your preferred manufacturer, you will learn what all their numbers mean (things like diameter, wrap, and KV).

Buy a watt meter. Takes away the guess work. I have an Astro Flight.

Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 10:31 PM
drive2survive

so were dealing with watts instead of glow size? that kind of clears things up, thanx
Old 08-17-2005, 01:05 AM
TubaTom99
My Feedback: (3)

Ya, think watts since it is our power source. That way the other motor info is a little less stressing. You will easily get as feel for all that like you have a feel for .40 2 stroke or .56 4stroke. I have an easier time with watts than talking displacement (I am fairly new to the slimmer side of flying).

Good luck!

Tom