Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

SmoothE with a geared spd400 question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

SmoothE with a geared spd400 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 04:51 PM
kilmerelrc
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SmoothE with a geared spd400 question

Any one have any luck with the SmoothE and a geared spd400 motor. All the equiptment I have is for brushed motors and I am not ready to invest in brushless motors, ESC and so on. I would like to get the SmoothE but Mountain Models suggests a geared 350 motor from GWS. I am thinking about a geared 400 from GWS with a 9X6 prop. Any suggestions for me or other brushed combinations I should look at. I have a couple of 8.4 1100 batteries laying around that I would like to use. Thanks Kilmerelrc
Old 08-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: SmoothE with a geared spd400 question

One thing you have to keep in mind with electric is that bigger is not always better; bigger is not always more powerful.

In this case, the EPS350C will actually be more powerful because it's a hotter motor than the 400. By hotter, I mean it spins more RPMs per Volt of input power than a 400. With the practical limits on prop size on a SmoothE, the EPS350C would be better.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:07 PM
kilmerelrc
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks for the reply! One last question. The EPS350c calls for an 8 cell 650 maH NiHM battery. I have two 7 cell 1000 maH NiCd I would like to use. How will this effect performance or will it work well at all if I use one? Thanks Kilmerelrc
Old 09-25-2005, 09:32 PM
jmtdmt
My Feedback: (1)

I've been running a Smooth E with a GWS350C motor and an APC 9X6 just passed the 90th flight today. Running 8 cell CBP 750's 6 - 7 minute flights at half throttle and 8 cell KAN1050's 9 minute flights. I also have a couple of 2 cell Lipos that work fine also. Plane flys great with any of the mentioned batteries not a 3D plane by any means just a good all around fun plane. Before you build search the threads for the mods to the Smooth E I've incorporated most of them in my opininon they are worth the little extra weight.