Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

APC vs MA Electric Props

Old 08-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Warden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APC vs MA Electric Props

I'm in the process of repowering my RCM Funster from brushed to brushless. Currently I'm running an Astro geared 40, 12X8 Master Airscrew wood electric prop and 20 nicads. I'm going to swap out the astro and controller for an AXI 4120/14 and Jeti controller and I'm planning on using an APC 12X8 electric prop because it seems like that's the prop that everyone uses.

I'm perfectly happy with the MA electric prop but since the APC is so popular, I figured there must be an advantage. Sooooo, before I ripped everything apart, I ran a little test. I hooked up my whattmeter to the set-up, installed the APC prop on the Astro 40 and checked amp draw. 29 amps and 660watts (or thereabouts, the numbers change quickly). Then I took the APC off and put the MA on and ran the motor again. 35amps, 770watts with the MA prop. I tested the APC first and then ran the MA so the APC had the advantage of the fully charged battery.

Obviously, the reading that is missing here is the thrust but that figure I don't have. If the APC has comparable thrust to the MA with lower current draw it certainly is a great prop.

Comments, please.............If you have any experience with these props I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:16 AM
jbflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: APC vs MA Electric Props

I have an AXI 4120/18 on a Funtana 40 with a Jeti 70 ESC, UBEC, and 6s2p 4200 lipo's. Weight is 6lbs-9oz. The prop that seems to work best for me is an APC 14x7. I will be trying a 15x7 next summer......