Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How are you guys measuring thrust?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

How are you guys measuring thrust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:11 AM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you guys measuring thrust?

I'm sure I'll end up buying a watt's up meter eventually but that'll just show watts, amps etc. How do you convert that info into calculating thrust? Or is there another way?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:21 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: How are you guys measuring thrust?

www.balsapr.com Look up thrust meter.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:27 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

I tried measuring thrust with a digital postal scale, but found that the bigger the prop, the lower the thrust readings; this was not supported by flight testing; increasing prop size will increase amp draw, eventually reaching the point where the max amp draw rating of the motor is exceeded. Some electric motor performance predicting programs may include a theoretical thrust component. If your plane can carry 2.3oz payload, you can put your Wattsup meter on board and read out the in-flight numbers upon landing....Jim
Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 PM
TubaTom99
My Feedback: (3)

Xray:

I use watts for calculating thrust. As a very loose rule (and you will learn to tweak this with experience) 35-50 watts to the prop for every pound of plane is good for a glider assist, 50-75 watts/pound is OK for easy sport/trainer flying, 75-100+ watts/pound will give you a decent aerobatic plane, and 150 watts/pound will give you 3D. I have a 32 oz Stick with an AXI 2808, 3S pack, and a 9X6 prop that delivers about 160 watts and pulls 21 amps WOT. The plane will go vertical for quite a ways (almost hovers) and is very nicely aerobatic. At 1/2 throttle it flies very nicely, climbs well and will do loops and easy patterns.

Is this what you are looking for?

Tom

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32024.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	321177  
Old 09-07-2005, 10:10 PM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, that what I needed, thanks! Nice plane BTW! Is that a Magpie?!?!? It puts mine to shame...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:34 PM
TubaTom99

Xray:

Thanks! No, it is called an Stik-E from Global models. They don't make it anymore; I found it on eBay for about $20. On the box it says "A kit that won't amp out your wallet." It came with a 550 motor. The kit was horrible (at least mine was). The ribs were not consistent and the wood was really cheap. I changed the tail feathers from the typical round slabs of balsa to the built up ones you see Saved about an ounce at the tail which I am sure saved me about 4oz on the nose. I have the battery all the way forward to balance it since the AXI is quite light. But as it turns out it is a really sweet flying plane. It has a flat bottom airfoil and I now wish it was symmetrical. But a friend of mine took an ultra stick and reduced it for a .25 and that will be perfect for this set up I have! Anyways, for a second plane this one was just right!

Best of luck!

Tom
Old 09-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Watts is not the same as thrust, though there is a general relationship there (more Watts == more thrust). There's just no direct numerical relationship. Thrust simply can't be calculated using only Watts.

If you're looking for how we measure actual thrust, the simple answer is, we don't. Thrust is only half the picture. An airplane's power is actually divided for two purposes, thrust and speed. For the same amount of input power, you can have high thrust and low speed, low thrust and high speed, or a combination of the two. A balance needs to be found between the two so that the plane does what you want.

How do you figure out what the right balance is? You fly the plane. If it's too slow, you reduce the prop diameter a bit and increase pitch a little. Not enough thrust? You increase the prop diameter a bit and reduce the pitch a little. As long as you start out with enough Watts, the plane will fly. It's all fine-tuning from there.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tried a low pitched prop on my 1/4 scale Corby Starlett. Got off the ground in about half the normal distance but nearly lost it going around the patch just above a stall.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Yup, that's the kind of problem you can run into if you concentrate all your power in thrust, and ignore speed.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 PM
TubaTom99

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Watts is not the same as thrust, though there is a general relationship there (more Watts == more thrust). There's just no direct numerical relationship. Thrust simply can't be calculated using only Watts.

If you're looking for how we measure actual thrust, the simple answer is, we don't. Thrust is only half the picture. An airplane's power is actually divided for two purposes, thrust and speed. For the same amount of input power, you can have high thrust and low speed, low thrust and high speed, or a combination of the two. A balance needs to be found between the two so that the plane does what you want.

How do you figure out what the right balance is? You fly the plane. If it's too slow, you reduce the prop diameter a bit and increase pitch a little. Not enough thrust? You increase the prop diameter a bit and reduce the pitch a little. As long as you start out with enough Watts, the plane will fly. It's all fine-tuning from there.
This is true and important to note! Thanks, Matt! I have played with pitch and size. You do get a feel for it, though. Still, I find the general relationship between watts and thrust to be close enough that so far it has served me very well. It will, at the very least, get you in the ball park and from there it is just tweaking props, and even battery voltage, to get what you want and what your system can handle.

So far I have found this hobby to be about "feel"; Getting a feel for power systems, feeling how the plane flies, etc. For me it is one of the fun parts of it. I think anyone looking for exact answers will always be disappointed.

Tom
Old 09-09-2005, 02:31 AM
jooNorway

There are some prop-constant tables available and these can give you approximate thrust on spesific props depending on RPM-readings. An example: http://aircraft-world.com/prod_datas...pconstants.htm