Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Second plane but 1st to build?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Second plane but 1st to build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 03:14 PM
flurrrs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second plane but 1st to build?

I'm looking for a step up into 4ch but I have never built before. I went the baby way and bought an easy to assemble 3ch rtf. But then I had no equipment to move on with. I have purchased a 4ch Tx but I can't make up my mind on what plane to get.
I definately dont want another 3ch for fear that I would get bored too soon. So Im looking for a good plane to get into and enjoy. I had a guy at the hobby store say that I could hop into several planes as long as I set them up loose til I get used to them. He was suggesting foamies, but I was wondering if they would be too hard to build.I like warbirds but most are low wings and I heard they can be tricky.Somebody give me a list cause Im dying to build and hit the sky.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:48 PM
TubaTom99
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Second plane but 1st to build?

Well, foamies are not that hard to build. So if that kind of plane interests you, I say go get one! Anyways, the first plane I built was a Herr Cloud Ranger. It was an easy kit to build. Didn't take long and with a brushless set up it flies very nicely. It is still a trainer type plane (high wing, flat bottom airfoil), but it will do basic maneuvers. The instructions are set up to build it as either a 3 or 4 channel plane. But, if you want more fun than that, I would get an Ugly Stik type plane and slap a nice electric set up on it. I have a Stik-E from Global Models (no longer made) that I got off e-bay. It is a kick to fly. All the glo guys in my club would like to have one. It is very responsive and very aerobatic and yet an easy flier and floats very well. Deals with high winds nicely (I have never been grounded due to wind). It is about the size of a .19 to .25 stick (48" WS, 32oz AUW). Look for something like that. I just got my first ARF that I am looking forward to flying: Little Something Extra from Herr(Sig). Bound to be a blast. But I really wish they made a kit version!

Good luck!

Tom
Old 09-15-2005, 05:02 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Everyone has a little different story, but if you want an aileron trainer and not afraid to build a really easy kit. You should try Mountain Models Dandy Sport. Flies great with cheap GWS motor and nicads. Just set it up like Doug at Mountain Models recommends.

I now have 10 electrics, and I keep that one so I can hand the transmitter to friends. It loops, rolls, etc.

Larry
Old 09-15-2005, 07:16 PM
BobbyGee

ORIGINAL: lwatson

Everyone has a little different story, but if you want an aileron trainer and not afraid to build a really easy kit. You should try Mountain Models Dandy Sport. Flies great with cheap GWS motor and nicads. Just set it up like Doug at Mountain Models recommends.

I now have 10 electrics, and I keep that one so I can hand the transmitter to friends. It loops, rolls, etc.

Larry

I second the suggestion for the Dandy Sport. It's an easy build. The fuse is a balsa box structure, the wing is spar and ribs. The whole thing needs to be covered with a light material - Solite is probably the best.

It sounds like you want to have the whole build experience, so the Dandy is a great first step into it.

As for its flying characteristics, it's high wing and forgiving. It also will do a nice complement of basic aerobatics, so it's a good airplane to grow with. The GT wing can be added later for more advanced flying. I've only flown mine with a GWS 350 motor and it's fine. I've been using 2 cell 2100 battery packs instead of Kans. Brushless jazzes it up quite a bit and I've got a second kit waiting in the wings for a brushless.

BobbyG

Old 09-15-2005, 09:29 PM
flurrrs

Im not dying to build as much as Im dying to go 4ch. I just want something easy to build but capable of some aerobatics.But w/o biting off more than I can chew. The reason I asked about foamies is b/c I heard how easy they are to build. But I dont know what would be easy considering Ive never built.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:25 PM
TubaTom99

Actually, I have heard great things about the mountain models kits. I would seriously look into those.

Tom
Old 09-16-2005, 08:38 PM
flurrrs

Well I decided to go with the big tiger moth 400. Got a good deal on it. I'll probably be happy for a while with the stock setup. I just want to get used to ailerons first. Anybody know of a good brushless set up for it for later.