Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Polk's Hobbies C-47

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 03:23 PM
KingCobra
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polk's Hobbies C-47

Anyone seen any postings on the electric C-47 offered by Polk's Hobbies? There was a review in MAN a month ago, but it wasn't too informative. Got a good review (like every other review published). I picked one up and the construction guide is pretty weak. Doesn't even provide directions for hooking up the motors (i.e. best in parallel or series?). Recommends a 1900 mAh 7-cell battery pack, but then recommends a 50 amp ESC. What 1900 mAh pack will crank out that kind of amperage? Anyone got any info????

Carlton Campbell
Old 09-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Polk's Hobbies C-47

As you get into more and more advanced kits, you'll find that more and more is left to the imagination. A good working knowledge, and/or plenty of resources to draw upon (like this forum), and you'll have no problem getting through unfamiliar territory.

You could wire the motors either way; neither is really "best." What you'll run into is the practical limitations of available ESCs. If you wire the motors in series, you'll have to find an ESC capable of 14 cells. The vast majority of available ESCs are limited to 10 or 12 cells, so that pretty much leaves you with wiring the motors in parallel.

There are much higher capcity batteries available for the same weight, such as the CP2400 NiCd or GP3300 NiMH. These are easily capable of 50 Amps in short bursts. Judging by the review, the weight of the plane, the style of plane, and the power system, you won't need full throttle for general flying.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:40 PM
KingCobra
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks for the input, Matt. Maybe I'll look into the NiMH pack. I went to the Polk's Hobby website and found a bit more on the plane. On the site it states that it performs well on an 8-cell pack whereas the box and instructions recommend a 7-cell pack. Would be nice to know what pack configuration is best for balancing, too. Anyone have a crystal ball?????
Old 09-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well if the box says 7 you should go for 10... 10 is too heavy, then only li-pos left a 3s2pThunder power might work.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:01 AM
carlrich

Has anyone bought the 47 or the dc3? Very interested in knowing how it will fly. I did find an 8 cell 3600 mah sub C at www.rc-dymond.com for $46.

Carl
Old 10-10-2005, 10:37 PM
JIMinKENTUCKY

I posted a few pics of the C47 and a short video clip at this thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/DC_3...2361304/tm.htm
Thanks, Jim

Also can be seen here:
www.jims-rc-flight.com