Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Struggling with servos

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 PM
ohnoesaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struggling with servos

Im putting together my first plane and im struggling bad. The instructions are horrid and barely say anything about anything.... Theres no pics or anything on how to wire the servos... I just dont get it how servos hook up to the ailerons/rudder/etc. Is this a crash course somewhere online with pics or anything I can refer to?

Its a CM 3d-36 from 3dhobbyshop so theres not much info on it
Old 09-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with servos

That's not a bad plane, just not a great FIRST plane... It's the equivalent of jumping on a Harley Davidson V-Rod without even having learned to ride a bicycle. The plane and the instructions are designed for someone who has had previous experience building and flying an airplane. It's assumed that you've connected a servo to an aileron before, and that it's not a new task...

It's not all that complicated or difficult:

1. Mount the servo solidly in its final location. Hopefully the instructions got you this far.
2. Center the servo by plugging it into the receiver and turning the transmitter, then the receiver.
3. Center the control surface. It helps to have a way to clamp it in place. Use clothespins with popsicle sticks to spread the load on the foam.
4. Assuming a wire pushrod, create a small Z-bend on one end. A Z-bend is a 90 degree bend in one direction, followed by a short straight, then a 90 degree bend back in the other direction.
5. Install the Z-bend in the control horn on the control surface.
6. Lay the pushrod over one of the holes in the servo arm and mark where the other Z-bend needs to go.
7. Create another Z-bend and trim off the excess.
8. Remove the servo arm from the servo, and insert the second Z-bend into the selected hole on the servo arm.
9. Reinstall the servo.

You won't get it perfect the first time, and you may need to pick up some extra music wire at your local hobby shop to practice with.

This isn't the only way to install pushrods. If the plane is fairly small and light, <24oz , you can use what are called "EZ connectors" on the servo end instead of a Z-bend to make the pushrod adjustable. Larger planes use pushrods that are threaded on one end with an adjustable clevis, and a Z-bend on the servo end.