Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What happens if you exceed 10A on a deans micro?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

What happens if you exceed 10A on a deans micro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 12:52 AM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens if you exceed 10A on a deans micro?

I'm getting intermitent ESC cutoff and I'm trying to eliminate the possibilites one by one.

I now see that the Deans micro connectors are rated at 10A. I've always used these and so I kept using them when I went with a brushless/lipo combo thats putting out 11.1A not knowing about the 10A rating.

What happens when you exceed the 10A? Will they just not flow more than 10A or will the melt or what?

Could this cause the ESC to cut out? The lipo is also only rated at 6C and some on here have suggested that may also be the problem.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: What happens if you exceed 10A on a deans micro?

What happens depends on how much you exceed the 10A rating by. 11.1 Amps, for example, isn't going to kill you. 15 Amps might cause a problem, though. Too much current will cause the connector to get hot.

These connectors are always capable of handling more than they're rated for. It's called "safety factor" in engineering. You're supposed to stay within the rated limits, but wink-wink, nudge-nudge.... You know what I mean

It's definitely your battery. This is a 1320mAh pack, right? It's only capable of about 8 Amps maximum, and then only in short bursts of 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time. You're probably drawing 8 Amps at half throttle all the time with your current setup.

There isn't the same kind of safety factor built into LiPoly batteries, unfortunately.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:49 AM
xray328

Well thats not good to hear.

Yes its a GWS 11.1 1320. I'll do a little research then and get a quality battery.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:20 AM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Where did you find the rating for these plugs? Not on dean's website last time i looked.

I heard they were good for 15...
Old 09-23-2005, 07:39 AM
L0stS0ul

The GWS Battery should be good for about 10.4 Amps. My current setup on my corsair pulls right about 10 amps and the battery is fine with that. I try not to fly WOT to much though. These GWS battery don't give out the same power that other lipos do though. There is a reason they are so cheap.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:01 AM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Ah Gws. allways giving you less, for less!

If anything is suspicious in xray328's setup it's undoubtedly the cheap lipo... If he's drawing 11 amps and it's "rated" for 10 there's a strong chance the pack is not providing quite that much power.

what kind of esc are you using X? Might that be overcurrent protection if youre right on the limit, try a nicad pack with more than 10 amps discharge capacity to see if you can isolate it.

If it is the pack, discontinue use immediately. You will damage your pack and run a chance of having ripple currents damaging your esc even if it's capacity is many times greater than what you are running on it.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:21 AM
xray328

I've got a dymond pack coming.

I'm using a CC Thunderbird 18.

Hopefully the new pack takes care of things.

Thanks guys!