Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Installing/removing pinion gears

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Installing/removing pinion gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 04:46 PM
rlawrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing/removing pinion gears

Trying my first electric, an Eflite Mini Funtana with a Park 400 brushless. What is the best way to install a gear on the motor shaft. Heat comes to mind, but if you don't get it in the right position the first time what do you do. Is there a gear puller available for these small motors? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:27 PM
rlawrie

Default RE: Installing/removing pinion gears

I found the answers elswwhere. Press fit the pinions using a vise or clamp. Be sure the back end of the shaft is supported. GWS sels two versions of a gear puller. One for shaft diameters equal to or larger than 2 mm, the other for smaller diameter shafts. Best advice is if you have to pull a pinion gear DO NOT reuse it.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the drill press. Close the chuck up, press on the gear. If the gear needs to be further on the shaft, open the chuck till it's a bit bigger than the shaft, then press away The face of the jaws is ground very flat so it will align the gear with the shaft very well.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:23 PM
rlawrie

Works great. I have to have a little less than 1/16" of the shaft protruding beyond the pinion, and your suggestion to use a drill press is just what I needed. THANKS!