Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric B-17!!???

Old 11-01-2002, 05:43 AM
jhawk169
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric B-17!!???

I have a guillows b-17 balsa kit that I haven't started building yet. It looks like it'll be pretty big. I was wondering if it would be possible to convert it to electric RC. Has anyone attempted this? Any suggestions??
Old 11-01-2002, 06:18 AM
jhawk169
My Feedback: (1)

Default details

To be more exact, it's a 45" wing span. 1/26th scale. Its designed to use two 049s with u-control. I can't decide what would be better, gas or electric. Hmmmm this is gonna be harder than I thought. What should I cover it with?
Old 12-21-2002, 06:13 PM
rurye
My Feedback: (16)

Default Electric B-17!!???

hey we got a 10ft wingspan fiberglass foamcore b-17. we think it would fly with four glow .46. What would be the chance of something that big going elec. anyone got any Ideals or exp. we are all ears.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:22 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E-Convers-ons

There's a lot of good information on E-Zone on conversion of small and large rubber-power and IC plane designs to electric R/C.
I wrote an article on converting rubber powered models to electric r/c, look for it in the Micro R/C section or use search .

Generally, small Guillows models require skill and experience to build light but strong enough to withstand landings with battery and other hardware. Selection of powerful yet light enough motor/geardrive and battery pack is critical to being able to fly at all much less fly satisfactorily. You need to find out what has worked for your size and type of model and not try to "make do" with what you may have on hand. I always advise beginning "converters" to build something like the Mountain Models Cessna 180 or Hobby Lobby Piper Super Cruiser first before tackling a Guillows or other rubber kit conversion.

Conversion of large IC models to electric R/C can be very expensive to obtain good performance and duration comparable to glow or gas power. However, electric power has definite advantages for reliability in medium sized multi-engine planes.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:04 PM
St. Martin

Default Built two

Hi JHawk,
I built my first 17 in the "80's". It had a Kress belt drive. 1 cox .09 med. & throttle sleeve. Drove two cox 3-blade props on the inboard nacells.
My most recent used two 6v sp-400, same props, same nacells. 8-cell, 1100Nmih, in series, 25amp Jeti.
Will do another, one day, but with 4 of the micro brushless mtrs. I have the B-29(no longer made)so that may win out for building first.
Steve