Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Li-Poly & what ESC & Brushless ??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Li-Poly & what ESC & Brushless ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:00 PM
toywizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-Poly & what ESC & Brushless ??

Ok....so I am still living in the past.........but
I wanna move forward and I am trying.
I need a site, info or whatever so I can buy a brushless motor and an esc (that matches) for any plane I need to build.

It seems so dificult to find a site that I can say "oh look! a Hacker A20-30M for $$$ and a X-13 ESC !!! oh, perfect.

Meanwhile I don't have a clue to what I was just talking about. If I want to get into powerful but light weight planes, I think this is the stuff I need to get into.
I have some Li- Poly batteries (collecting from Ebay).

I am used to the old 400 motors with the 3-1 ratio gear resduction and the .40 nitros.
I run Nitro trucks, Nitro planes, electric trucks, electric planes and working on Helis.....but not brushless yet.

Can someone point the old duffer in the right direction?
Any site that is a comparison with motors vs esc?
I know they are expensive, but.............................

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:17 PM
RAMA_2

Default RE: Li-Poly & what ESC & Brushless ??

I've had some of the same questions. I'll be watching your replies, hopefully we'll get some good advise or site to go to. Thanks for posting the question.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:30 PM
toywizard

Well with everything I have learned over the last 10 years...........it is getting harder to keep up;.

I want to be able to take advantage of the latest technology and brushless and li-poly is the way to go from all I read.
I subscribe to several mags and maybe my prob is that I am into too much divercity of rc.

Nitro air
Nitro truck
electric air
electric truck
planes
trucks
heli
anything else you ;can rc. lol

Maybe I get overrun with info is cause there is soooo much info out there, some of use need it simplified to be able to buy responcibaly.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:41 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Try this one for outrunners there is a chart for recommended props. At the bottom of the page is the suggested speed controls for the motors.

www.bmkdesigns.net
Old 10-16-2005, 08:52 PM
toywizard

I dunno
I searched through that site from top to bottom and still could not find that prop chart so I could find the motor/esc chart....I will go through it again tomorrow night.
THanks for the help.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Its on the pages with the individual motors like this one: http://bmkdesigns.net/product_info.p...roducts_id=106

These charts are set up by motor size and the speed controls are selectable below these charts.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:02 AM
AgCat1982

Hey, I have been there! I had to finally figure it out for myself. What you want doesn't, as of this time, exist. There is a reason. For each motor you might choose, there are many different combinations of prop size, volts, aircraft weight, and aircraft thrust requirements. Your power really comes from your batteries and prop/gearbox unit. You just need a motor that will not burn up when reaching that amount of power. Simple.
The trick is to get a motor that will not burn up and, at the same time, not be too heavy.

Many sites will now list their motors with possible aircraft weight ranges. That is a big help. Hobby-Lobby is good about this. They list their motors in aircraft weight ranges and when you select a particular motor, they give you a chart showing amp draw and watts with different voltages and props.

The site mentioned before my post does this. I just thought the chart was hard to read if you don't know anything about electrics.

The best thing to do is to search around, reading what others have done and copy that, if it is similar to something you want to do. That is what all of us do. Once you have made a choice and it flies your plane, it will get easier to know what you want the next time. There are many post of guys describing their experiences with different setups. I just posted what I did to put a brushless on my old AeroBird Challenger.

Good luck
Old 10-17-2005, 06:53 PM
toywizard

Makes sence to me.........

I really aprreciate everyones help. I understand that the prop,weight etc make a huge dif for sure. I should go back to the foamy section and check that out. THats the next monstrocity I want to build. I tend to biuld heavy due to lack of patience. lol

THanks again
Old 10-18-2005, 09:43 PM
toywizard

These guys are great...http://www.bmkdesigns.net/.

Mike from BMK Designs spent a lot of time helping me understand what I need and I will be buying from him.
Great site, Great guy.
Thanks for leaning me in that direction.