Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Xtreme control reversing?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Aerobird Xtreme control reversing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:48 PM
hobie62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Xtreme control reversing?

What would cause the following Aerobird Xtreme problem? I've observed it on two different planes.

While in flight, the left and right controls will reverse. Up and down remain correctly functional.

I first noted this problem after a normal landing in the grass. I replaced the battery and did a routine control check before take-off. I noted that a left-stick input gave a right rudder response. Likewise right-stick gave left rudder. I studied the manual, called the hobby shop, switched batteries, and found no solution. So I tried switching the control lines. Take-off proceeded normally, but about 10 seconds into the flight, left/right control sense reversed again. I managed a safe landing and swapped the control lines back to their original configuration. A second take-off proceeded normally, but this time about 30 seconds into the flight, control sense swapped again. Staying aloft for about two minutes, this happened three times. I’ve tried both Advanced and Sport modes, preferring advanced.

Hobbyzone has fixed the problem twice now. Once they replaced the entire RTF kit with a brand new one. The problem recurred on the new plane, and now they are sending me a replacement fuselage.

Has anyone seen such behavior before? I bought a few resonators, but I wonder if a cracked resonator could cause this. Motor and pitch control are unaffected.

Any ideas?
Scott
Old 10-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Aerobird Xtreme control reversing?

I can say with certainty that that is a new one on me...

Does the Aerobird transmitter have servo reversing switches on it? If so, are you perhaps accidentally moving them while flying? Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't have any physical handicaps that involve your hands, do you? I mean, involuntary movements in the fingers that might explain the servo reversing switch being moved back and forth...stuff like that.

It just seems really weird that such a unique problem would happen to two different planes. That usually points to an environmental issue, something or someone affecting the planes in a certain way as to cause the problem. Are you crashing a lot? Are you using the stock battery, or something different? Are you charging the stock battery with the stock battery charger? Are you dropping the transmitter? How do you transport the plane back and forth to the field? Are there any strong magnetic or electronic signals in your area? Do you dabble with high-power radio equipment? Enough questions?

I would expect the servo reversing issue to manifest itself in the transmitter, not the receiver. Hopefully the new fuselage will cure it again for a while, but I'm just saying...
Old 10-23-2005, 10:31 PM
hobie62

That was my guess too, but this simple RTF kit has no servo reversing switch. I've been all over the transmitter looking for one. Called the hobby shop & the manufacturer. To engage Pro-mode, you have to hold the stick forward while powering on the transmitter, so I was hoping for some equally obscure reversing enabler, but there is none, as far as I can tell.

Stranger still, the manual has a misprint, disclaimed by an insert that came with the kit. The diagrams show left-stick raising the right elevator. I've got to wonder if some early pre-release of the control circuit had the wrong rudder sense, patched in later versions.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:43 PM
flyhard2

hobie62,
moving the stick left should raise the right elevator on a V-tail plane that causes the tail to move to the right pushing the nose to the left. the manual is correct it just seems backward. in pro mode left stick will cause the right elevator to deflect upward and the left elevator to deflect downward to roll the left wing tip down. i hope this helps, i got my extreme down to check it out.