Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Changing ESC voltage cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 AM
Kretieg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing ESC voltage cutoff

I have an Electrify Receiver/ESC combo. It is not designed for Li-Po use. The LV cutoff is 4.8 volts I need to change that to at least 5.0 volts for the 2S Li-Po configuration I intend to use it in. The unit weighs just over 30 grams with 30 amp ESC. Any ideas what I am looking for before I cut into the heat shrink? POT, resistors...... `GULP` .... PIC?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:31 AM
twinturbostang

Default RE: Changing ESC voltage cutoff

I don't have an Electrify so I can't help you there. But, normally voltage cutoff for lipo's is 3V per cell. So if you have a 2 cell pack, you will want a cutoff voltage of 6 Volts. I would say 5V is dangerously low for a 2 cell pack. If you run it that low, you risk permanently damaging the pack.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:25 AM
microsprint9

I found this great little circuit that only uses 2 transistors and a few resistors to make a buzzer sound when the voltage reaches 6v, it only weighs 7 grams and is very easy to make. Here's the link www.webx.dk/rc/lipoly/low-volt-alarm.htm in the original he uses 4 leds to light at the selected voltage, i just used a piezo buzzer instead. When you hear the buzzer it's time to land, and you can adjust R1 to make it sound at any voltage you want.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:09 PM
bp2005

Kreteig: See Eflight Design MBEC. Weighs 1.6 grams and regulates the receiver voltage
from a 7.2v Lipo, http://www.balsapr.com/common/keywor...41247162005888
Bob
Old 10-25-2005, 01:39 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Just go fly

Really.... fly for a couple of minutes... and then go and charge the battery measuering how much of a charge it took (using either a Watt Meter, or your digital charger)
and then calculate about how long you can fly with your battery and don't fly longer than that......

Yes there is a risk of frying the battery if you fly too long... so don't