Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

prop and battery data help please

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

prop and battery data help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 01:37 AM
t6texan.aus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop and battery data help please

Hi all, well after the demise of my son's Aerobird Extreme ( suspect rx fail ) i have decided to look further into Electrics.

To those who know the Abird has a 540 brushed motor and a 2700maH NiMHi batter.

My question is what would people use in the way of REGULAR props and batteries(NOT Lipo) and speed contollers with this motor. (geared or not)

Also what all up weight aircraft is it suitable for??

thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: prop and battery data help please

Typically, you'd run a 540 motor direct drive with a 6 or 7 cell (7.2V to 8.4V) NiCd or NiMH battery pack. They need to be full size Sub C cells, like the ones that came with the plane, to withstand the kind of Amps being drawn to get useful power from the motor. With a 6-cell pack, you can safely run an 8x4 prop, but you need to drop to a 7x4 with the 7-cell pack or you'll burn the motor up.

The motor has rather limited usefulness because it's so inefficient and heavy for the amount of power it can handle. Planes need to be light, under 2.5lbs, and have lots of wing area.