Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Crystal Help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 10:02 PM
spudnick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crystal Help !!!!

Ive got a really dumb question about crystals
I have no idea how thet work or haw many you need. Could someone please tell me what kind of crystal or what Frequency to get if I use a JR XF421EX FM Micro radio. sorry i guess I'm asking a lot but I dont have a clue.

pato
Old 11-11-2002, 03:25 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

You will have to pick a channel when you order the radio. Will come with transmiter and receiver crystal on that channel. Then when you order new receivers in the future, just order on that same channel.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You don't say where in the world you live, and where you are in the process. This makes answering the question difficult.

In the USA and Canada, airplane radios are in the 72MHz frequency band. Channels are numbered 11 through 60. It's different in other countries.

When you buy a new radio, it is supposed come with crystals. You don't need to buy any. If you're flying alone in a remote place, it doesn't matter which channel you choose, but if you fly at or near any other R/C pilots, it's best to seek them out and see which channels they're using. You don't want to be on the same channels as they are. Best case, you will have to wait to fly. Worst case, you can cause someone's plane to crash, or someone can cause your plane to crash.

I would not buy a used radio that does not come with crystals.

In the USA, it is illegal to change the transmitter crystal yourself; you have to send it in for service by a qualified technician. You can't buy transmitter crystals for most radios in the USA.

In most other countries, you should be able to purchase a set of matching transmitter and receiver crystals (a total of two crystals) from a good hobby shop. Demand the JR branded crystals that are meant for the radio so you're sure they will work.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:42 PM
spudnick

My thanks to both of you. and Im sorry I do live in the USA