Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Underpowered Electrics

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:29 AM
HALODIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underpowered Electrics

Hello,

My electric FW190 took a tumble from about 20 feet up and since then it s underpowered, I am reulctant to just go out and buy a replacement ourunner 400 if that is not the problem and the same applies to the speed controller. I have a replacement battery and I have tried this and it is still the same. So.... Can anyone suggest what is wrong with the plane? What needs replacing to get the beast back up in the air?

Thanks,

Craig.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:45 PM
skyblue

Default RE: Underpowered Electrics

I had the same problem with a AXI 2808.It seemed that a magnet got loose after the crash.The motor lost some of it's power.Before you buy a new motor try to disassemble the old one.The problem is probably mechinal.

Phil
Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
john 8750

Make sure the wing and tail is still aligned, and the motor thrust angle did not change. Also that the battery is still in place for ballance. Check the prop for damage.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:33 AM
HALODIN

Thanks for the replies. The prop, COG, wing alignment and engine thrust all seems fine. You can also see all of the magnets firmly in place through a gap in the outrunner motor. I'm not too sure on this one.... The problem is certainly the motor or the speed controller, but without throwing money at it, it's a tricky one...

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Check the bell to shaft joint.
I've had a couple of outrunners that took a shot on the nose and drove the shaft back ever so slightly. It was enough to break the bond between the shaft and bell. When the motor got into a power situation the bell was slipping on the shaft, ala lack of power.
Easy enough to fix. Pop off the bell and shaft assy, reloctite back together.

Only other thing I can think of is a cracked magnet. Even if you can see the magnets are attached, you need to take a good, close up look at them, a hair line crack in one or more of the magnets will cause a similar problem.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
HALODIN

It was a damaged prop in the end, there was nothing to see as such, but it managed to unbalance it, new prop no problem.