Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Replacement motor for an Astro 05 Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Replacement motor for an Astro 05 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 AM
lloydr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement motor for an Astro 05 Help!

Well, I'm goung to bear my soul and show my ignorance, here. I'm getting back into flying after about 20 years away. I used to fly sailplanes and am intending to do that but with electric power. I have come across a balsa model to build in addition to a sailplane called an Astro Sport . It's a 37 inch span, 292 sq inches, 32 oz up-weight. It calls for an Astro 05 but I see that they are no longer availabe. I have read page after page on the Internet trying to determine which motor would be best.

I'm not interested in a 'Hot Rod' at this time, just a good flyer. (something to play with when the thermals go away). I have read several explanations as to how many watts of power per pound are needed and it's getting a bit confusing. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....Rick
Old 12-14-2005, 10:47 AM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Replacement motor for an Astro 05 Help!

I just purchased two 05 systems from www.astroflight.com
Old 12-14-2005, 11:19 AM
lloydr1

Well, I'll go there and look again. It may be that I'm not exactly sure of what I'm looking for. ;-) I saw some geared 05's but I thought I needed a direct drive.

Thanks, I'll chack there again....Rick
Old 12-14-2005, 12:50 PM
BeanerECMO

http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/000...cts:af-806m-2t

Make sure when you load this into the browser address window that the whole thing is included.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:40 PM
paulsandycooper

How well (slow) does the speed control on the latest AstroFlite 05 work? I have an old Cobalt 05 and an AstroFlite model 210 that barely slows the motor at all. It is also very heavy.
For the weight, is the latest Astro 05 and or 020 geared or planetary with speed control indicative of the best that is available on the market without regard to cost? If not what motor and speed control combination would you suggest?
It is an important consideration for me to be able to shut off the motor in flight as well as slow the motor down dramatically.

Best Regards
PaulSandyCooper
Old 12-21-2005, 08:40 PM
BeanerECMO

The 05 ESC has a wide range of programmable features. If you want more detail, contact [email protected] about the various combinations re: Cobalt, etc.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:17 AM
paulsandycooper

I was particularly interested in the AstroFlight brushless 05 and 020 versions. Are they state of the art in terms of power to weight ratio? If not, in this power range, what other motor has the best power to weight ratio? I also need to know if the Astroflight speed control that is part of their package accompanying each motor is effective in delivering a really slow speed, shut off, and turn on? If not, what combination of high power to weight ration motor and accompanying speed control is particularly effective in providing a full range of motor speed including motor shut-off and turn-on?
Regards
PaulSandyCooper
Old 12-26-2005, 10:51 AM
thejc

Take a look at the Multiplex 480 series motors, much lighter, more efficient.I have two ,very pleased with them.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:42 PM
paulsandycooper

Thank you for your response. I just purchased (3) of the Multiplex EasyGlider electric RR airplanes. It comes with a speed 400 motor which I assume has brushes. I probably would like to substitute a brushless motor and Lithium batteries at some point.
Happy Holidays
Paul Sandy Cooper