Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbee has a couple of questions

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Newbee has a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:33 PM
lloydr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbee has a couple of questions

Hello all, I'm getting back into flying after about 20 years .(retired now).
I was quite heavy into sailplanes in the old days and I'm building one now BUT I also thought I'd build a small electric to play with, also. I bought an old Astro Flite kit called the Sport. It calls for an Astro 05 motor.

I'm not sure when this kit was produced but the balsa is nice. And I can tell it's a few years old because Astro calls for their 'motor controller' which is 'on - off' ;-)

I have found a used Astro 05 can motor. The plans call for a radial mount. I have been searching the internet and can't seem to find anything on a radial mount and I don't see one on Astro Flite's web page (but I may not be smart enough yet to know what I'm looking for).

The air plane is 36 in span, 292 sq inches. Up weight is about 30 oz.

My questions are

1. Does anyone know what a radial mount for an Astro 05 is ?
2. What size/type batteries would you suggest?
3. What size ESC.

THanks,
Rick

Old 12-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Newbee has a couple of questions

Just generally speaking, a radial mount refers to a type of mount that bolts straight on to a flat vertical firewall.

Now, I'm going to try to convince you to skip the Astro and go straight to brushless. It's an older kit, meaning not 3D, and the price difference between a 150 Watt brushless and setting up that Astro 05 isn't going to be that much. The plane will also be lighter, and perform better. If they're expecting the plane to weigh 30oz with a heavy Astro 05 and a Sub C car pack, it'll probably come out closer to 24oz with a brushless motor and 3S LiPoly battery pack. If you don't want to go with LiPoly, you can go with a 10-cell pack of modern NiMH cells, and still come out way lighter. Plus, an outrunner brushless has its own radial mount.

150 Watts is going to make this plane utterly ballistic. I can feel it

An Eflite Park 450 outrunner is $65. An Eflite 20A brushless ESC is only $42. With a 3S LiPoly or a 10-cell NiMH pack, I'd recommend a 10x4.7 or 11x3.8 prop. For batteries, I'd recommend the 3S (11.1V) ThunderPower 1320mAh, the 3S (11.1V) Kokam 1250mAh, or a 10-cell CBP1100 NiMH pack.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:46 PM
hallsj

Default RE: Newbee has a couple of questions

I have to agree with a brushless setup. If memory serves me correct (which it seldom does), the Astro 05 was just your standard 27-turn brushed motor. I do not recall if it had a fixed endbell or not. If it is the fixed endbell variety; than it would make a far better paperweight than any type of propulsion system. Again, do not quote me on accuracy of the motor; but brushless / lipo's are the way to go.