Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Cub Is good...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 04:54 PM
gbruce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub Is good...

..IF you follow the lightening directions and install a Geared 05 sized motor.

I have the original design and it is still going after 5 years. Funny thing is that I made a few upgrades to the kit like a clear canopy and window area, ailerons etc. Then GP brings out there NEW version with all of these mods incorperated...

I am currently able to fly for 10 min. if I use the throttle properly and use 8 cell 2400mah packs with an AF-05G.

Am currently considering the .20 size from GP as it is more scale like...It will have a clipped wing for basic aerobatics

Bruce
Old 11-22-2002, 03:54 AM
rahtware

Default Cub Is good...

Bruce

What "lightening directions"? As I posted before, my (1st generation) Great planes Cub sucked... And I built it as the instructions said to, and installed the powerplant supplied in the kit.

My complaint is not with the plane, as it flies great on an OS 15, but with Great Planes for selling something that didn't work without modifications (that they didn't tell you about until after you bought the kit and found out that it wouldn't fly) and expensive upgrades.

Have you ever met anyone that had "great success" with a stock 1st generation GP Cub? I haven't.

I am using the word "stock" to stand for the plane built as per the plans with the supplied (and suggested) materials, using the supplied power plant.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:47 AM
gbruce

Default Cub Is good...

Hi Larry

I agree that GP was Somewhat optomistic with there Supplied motor and I understand your Frustration...The Kit that I bought had an "extra" Pamphlet called "Tips on maximizing the performance of your Goldfire-powered Electricub"

It basically says to lighten the structure by enlarging the lightening holes and using lighter equipment. Kind of basic but back then this was a pretty big leap for a major manufacturer to offer an electric powered scalish model at all!

Bruce
Old 11-23-2002, 05:26 PM
rahtware

Default Cub Is good...

I remember ordering mine almost as soon as they came out. They must have had enough complaints by guys like me that by the time your kit came out they were already adding modifications.

I am glad to hear that all worked out for you. For me, if it wasn't for GWS I would still swear that economical E-power wasn't possible.

Clear skies

Thought I would throw in a shot of my IPS powered Desert Duster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37113_15871.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	23232  
Old 12-07-2002, 03:31 AM
Noah-Moore

Default Cub Is good...

Just thought i say that i just completed my new ElectriCub. It's the new version. It flies great without any mods with the recommended Speed 600 /w Gearbox combo. This combo only cost 44 buck by the way! A plus is the gearbox makes it sound great.

Have Fun,

Noah
Old 12-07-2002, 03:45 AM
gbruce

Default Cub Is good...

Yup... THe Gearbox is the MAGIC part of the equation...