Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Aerocruiser?good?bad?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hobbico Aerocruiser?good?bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 02:09 AM
kingcobraRCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Aerocruiser?good?bad?

my son is getting into r/c planes and he has been flying the hobbico skyzap very successfully for about 4 months now...he is ready for the next step and I was thinking about getting him the hobbico aerocruiser...it has a Hitec 3 channel radio with it that can be used in a later plane if he stays in the hobby and actual servos...has anyone had any bad experiences with flying the plane?does it have any bad points that we should be aware of...I saw the megatech planes but they are getting bad reviews all over the net. is this plane in the same category or is it a better plane?thanks
Old 12-07-2002, 10:50 AM
$ircra$halot

Greetings Kingcobra: I wish I could tell you about the aerocruiser, but I can't. I will say that if it does not fly in it's stock form, it can be modified. It may be as simple as putting a different prop. on, or maybe a bigger, badder motor. However I would not recomend a 3 channel radio. If he plans to stay in the hobby. There is always the chance he might want to add retratable landing gear, flaps, or something else to future models. This could require up to 6 or more channels. Radios come in up to 12 channels to the best of my knowledge. If he ever goes to glow power, most require a min. of 4 channels for elevator, ailerons, throttle and rudder. Of coarse if he ever wants to go scale, or into jets, the number of channels keeps getting higher. With a little luck he will be old enough and established enough to buy his own. one can wrap up $2000.00 in a radio system ( includes usually 4 servos, transmitter, receiver, swith harness, transmitter and receiver batteries), but most range from $175.00 to about $500.00 look at towerhobbies.com. Good luck and happy holidays. Garry
Old 12-07-2002, 03:32 PM
kingcobraRCU

Default ?

this is a kid! 10 yrs old...he doesn't need retracts yet...is there a rule that I can't can't buy a new radio for him when he's older? is he branded to use the same radio is whole life? common sense rules here I think...
Old 12-07-2002, 06:21 PM
$ircra$halot

Common sense says re read the post. Then do as you see fit. If he wants to ever get into glow with ailerons, a 3 channel will not cut it. A 4 channel will be better, you can pick them up used cheap. But if he will be content with elevator, rudder and throttle control till he is old enough to buy his own, go for the three channel. You can throw it away when he is bored with it in a month or so. NOT MUCH COMMON SINCE THOUGH. Garry
Old 12-07-2002, 08:05 PM
kingcobraRCU

Default ...

this forum is a waste of time. if he was going to go GLOW powered I would have put this post in the GLOW powered section...not the frikkin electric park and slow fliers section!and there are lots of models INCLUDING glow powered that can use a three channel radio!thank you for your time but please do not reply to any more of my posts as you have really annoyed me with your attempt at knowing everything there is to know about flying!
Old 12-08-2002, 08:01 AM
$ircra$halot

Not a problem. Just trying to give a little insight. Now I see why I was the only one to respond to you. Believe me sir I am done with you.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:46 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default plane

Hey Kingcroba nothing wrong with that plane it flys fine . And as far as the three channel goes it's a nice radio I have 3. So If your son wants more get any raido you want for him , still keep the 3ch for small fun planes some people don.t know how to have fun any more. I fly 1/2A to 1/4 scale, gliders and helis, when I get bored I go to the field with small 3ch planes and have fun again. If you want another electric look at Hobbico's Superstar EP RTF it is a little larger and would fly better in the wind also get one or two extra battery packs so you can fly while the other is charging.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:44 PM
kingcobraRCU

Default thank you!

thank you for the info and I agree, the 3 channel is a good radio for fun fly type planes. I just didnt think it was time for him to go straight to a 4 channel plane since he learned to fly on a 2 channel that actually operated on vector thrust and not an actual rudder or elevator...I will check out the superstar EP also and thanks again...
Old 12-08-2002, 09:07 PM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec 3 : Yes. Graupner Mini Piper : Consider.

I would recommend the Hitec 3 ch radio you intend getting. It's easy to hold and the single stick design will help the transition to a two stick radio later on. Later on definitely go for the Hitec Eclipse 7 ch. It is the best bang for your buck around and will fly most planes out there.

Also consider the Graupner Mini Piper for a second plane.
The plane got a good review at the E-Zone website.
Go look at the online video of the plane at Hobby Lobby (www.hobby-lobby.com)
I learnt to fly with something similar and it really is fun to "throw" it around once you're fairly confident with your flying ability.
Try not to be too outrageous with your aerobatics later on. These little foam planes don't like outside loops without major wing reinforcement.

-Q.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:26 AM
t_jayRC

I'm a newbie to R/C. I just got the Mini Piper for Xmas; it was a breeze to assemble. Although I have not flown it yet - seems simple enough to fly. I like the idea of the longer flight times and the way it looks. If you read the review, you'll find I agree with the author - the plane is meant to be yellow (...the reason why I haven't flown it yet - waiting to paint it first). I'll let you know more after I fly it. The directions were simple enough for a child to assemble quckly (or in my case a clumsy analyst).
One more item: I took the suggestion the author of the review gave for ROG (right off ground) enhancement - most parkflyers are hand-launched - this adds to the realism; it being able to take and land.