Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Almost embarrased to ask...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 02:43 AM
CptCrunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost embarrased to ask...

What direction do electric motors turn when looking from the front of the aircraft? Someone recommended a car motor, Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem Reverse. Does this turn in the correct direction? Or should I get the regular ( not reverse) Magnetic Mayhem Motor?

Are propellors reversible, ie can you mount them to account for the direction of the motor?

Don't be too hard on me. Remember, you were a beginner once, too.

Tom
Old 01-23-2002, 03:58 AM
gjestico
My Feedback: (2)

I believe the "regular" motor turns the same direction as a glow motor, iE counterclockwise when viewed from the front. The electric props are made this way, same as glow motor props. You cannot turn the prop around. It will be very inefficient if reversed. Like flying a flat bottom wing trainer inverted.
If you need to turn the opposite direction, you need a special "pusher" prop.
The "reversed" motors are for a gearbox application where the motor turns opposite the prop.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:18 AM
dryflyer

Cptcrunch,
Greg is correct. the propeller rotates the same as glow models(or even fullscale aircraft. Except the Seafury) I noticed the photo of the Multiplex Kranich on your post. Do you own one? I have a dozen flights on mine and I love it! Mine is powered by an Aveox F12 brushless/geared motor, SL-48 ESC on 10 cells(for now) Electric is the way to go!!!
Randy
Old 01-30-2002, 01:52 PM
CptCrunch

Greg,

No, I use the picture because it represents what I aspire to. I'm currently putting together a HOB 2X6 with a Master Airscrew 7.2 volt 500 series motor, 3.5 ratio gear box, CR 1700 X 7 battery pack, and a 12" folding prop.

Best regards,

Tom Savoie
Old 01-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Rod
My Feedback: (1)

Electric motors turn counter-clockwise when viewed from the front, (this is the same as a Glow engine). Reverse timed motors turn clockwise , viewed from the front. Reverse motors are used with most gearboxes, such as Great Planes, which have the appearance of have the prop shaft offset from the motor shaft. Master Airscrew etc. Some gearboxes such as a planatary gearbox requires a motor that turns in the same direction, Aveox boxes, Graupner 2.8:1 "In-line" boxes and similiar.