Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

First electric plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First electric plane

Hi guys, I just got back from an r/c flea market where I picked up my first electric plane. I have been flying glow for a couple of years now, and this was a great deal.

I bought:
- Shrike airframe
- E-flite park 370 brushless
- Phoenix-10, 10 amp brushless ESC
- and 3 micro servos.

What kind of batteries should I look for? I want something that would last a little while... maybe Li-Po (but I've never had Li-Po). And can you give me any info. on what packs are compatible with the connector that I have?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66936.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	424386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48173.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	424387  
Old 03-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Bevo

Default RE: First electric plane

If you have the E-flite 370 outrunner you could look at the thunder power 1320 or 2100 three cell. The batteries don't come with connectors so you can purchase the one you want. The connector in the picture looks like a deans but I'm not sure. If you use the three cell 2100 I'd recommend the deans ultra plug.

Bevo
Old 03-12-2006, 03:43 PM
stepheva

I agree, Deans is the way to go. The connector you have should be removed and a Dean's set put on. Also, 2-3 cell lipos work great, but be sure to read all the dangers associated with them. The technology is fantastic, but the dangers are very real as well. Check out www.rctoys.com/parts and select Thunder Power for all your battery/charger needs.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Be aware that there is a SIGNIFIGANT difference in power level between a 2-cell and a 3-cell LiPoly. The 3-cell will be about twice as powerful as the 2-cell, given the same size propeller.

The Park 370 will handle the 3-cell, and that's what I would recommend, but you may need to reduce the size of the propeller to keep the motor from drawing too many Amps. That will depend on what size prop came with the plane. I would recommend you take a look at packs in the 1200-1400mAh range. A 2100 pack will make the plane too heavy.

In this day and age, it makes no sense to buy anything BUT LiPolys with integrated cell balancing technology. I would look at the new Kokam CellPro system. It has an on-board protection module that flies with the plane and keeps the pack from being overdrawn. The charger also keeps all the cells at the same voltage (i.e. "balanced") so they last longer and perform better.