Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

fried motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:39 PM
hawkman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fried motor?

i just got my first foamie ready to fly,yesterday i ran the motor and adjusted the servos in my house. i ran down the battery to see if when it cut off i still had servo power,again all ok.today i tried to charge the battery but the charger never beeped to tell me it was charged.i took the battery pack and tried it anyway there was some power but i could tell it was not fully charged.i went ahead and ran the motor some and while it was about 3/r throttle the motor started sounding like it was seizing up .there was a puff of smoke from the motor so i shut it down,i let it cool some and tried again,same as last time.it actually came to a stop and puffed more smoke.im new to electrics but have ben flying over 20 years.i need some help.i pulled the motor apart and could not see any damage.

here is my set up. hyperion z2209 32 motor/thunder power 1350mah 3 cell poly/castle creations 18 esc/ berg 4ch receiver/g planes charger,it is the30.00 charger.plane is the spider from 3Dhobbies.the whole power set up is recomended by 3Dhobby shop which is what i bought. can someone please tell me what is the problem. thank you.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fried motor?

I think you've got a couple of problems, maybe more.

The first is that long bench run. A 3D power system is usually sized for weight, not robustness. Full throttle is only intended to be used in short bursts of a few seconds. If you ran it at full throttle from beginning to end, then you overheated the motor, and this would explain the puff of smoke. When you let the "magic smoke" out, the motor is basically ruined.

You should NEVER perform long bench runs on any electric power system. The reason is because there is no cooling airflow over the motor. Yes, there's that big old fan blowing air all over the place, but that's all out at the tips of the prop. Very little air is actually moving at the center, where the motor is. Only the forward motion of the plane will keep cooling air flowing. Keep your bench runs at 30 seconds or less.

That battery needs to be looked at. Was there any indication from the charger that it was charging? Depending on which Great Planes charger you got, there should be something on a readout, or a blinking light, that indicates an error. LiPoly batteries either charge or they don't. There's no "never finished" unless there's an error indicated on the charger, or a fire. You would've noticed a fire, so I'm sure that the charger errored out because there's a problem with the pack.

The battery pack is either over-discharged, and/or was damaged in the extended full-throttle bench run. Either way, it might be toast as well. If you have a voltmeter, measure the pack voltage, take some measurements off the balancing lead pins, and post them here if you would.