Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

BURNING SERVOS?

Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 PM
wildjaych

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BURNING SERVOS?

in the last couple of weeks (not much flying due to winds) I have burned up 2 GWS naro servos on my slow stick. Anybody have problems with this just happen all of a sudden?

I have had the ss since Oct. and just recently bought a park 450 outrunner and 20 amp esc but i have been running the same 9.6v nimh batteries i was running with the brushed motor. One of the connectors broke off of the esc and i soldered it back on and everything worked fine for 10 minutes or so in the air and then it quit. i put a new servo on and it lasted a few flights and just quit too.

Today i bought 2 hitech hs55's but i dont want to burn those up too. any thing i need to check?

Old 03-23-2006, 02:36 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BURNING SERVOS?

If you are able, I would check the voltage at the pins coming off the speed control that plug into the Rx. It should be around 5 volts with the battery plugged in.

If that checks out, plug it into the Rx and recheck voltage at the pins. Can't see how that would be any different than the above test, but it would eliminate that variable.

Recheck voltage at the pins with the motor running. Be careful! and don't let the motor run too long on the bench. Lots of wind, but not much in the center that cools the motor and ESC.

Check surfaces for binding. The SS vertical and horizonal surfaces tend to droop after a while and this creates a lot of binding.

Wiring information:
JR-- (Orange-->Singal) (Red--->Positive +) (Brown-->Negative -)
Futaba-- (White-->singal) (Red-->Positive+) (Black-->Negative-)

Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:30 PM
gniessen
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BURNING SERVOS?

You may be getting more performance out of the new motor and this is putting more or a load on the control surfaces. The light servos may not be up to the task and the higher current draw is burning them up.