Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Converting a Hanger 9 UltraStick 40

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Converting a Hanger 9 UltraStick 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 04:38 AM
Michael_Flight
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a Hanger 9 UltraStick 40

Greetings,

I have a Hanger 9 40 size Ultra Stick with an O.S. 50 SX. I thought it would be fun to build a second one as an electric (that way I can share the wing). I have looked at the Hacker and Jeti Brushless motors.

I know this plane will take some weigt. I originally had a Saito 72 in it. I use it in the winter with DuBro skiis.

Does anyone have any recommendations on motor/ESC/battery setups?

Also, how would I mount the motor?

Thanks,

-Michael
Old 12-18-2002, 06:05 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some things that might help

First the weight of the plane is a big factor in determining the size motor. A brushless motor should take anything up into if you put a big enought battery that can dump enough amps to the motor.

Remember that the battery pack for a large plane adds sygnificant weight and needs to be taken into account.

If you know the horsepower of the .72 you can convert hp to watts. Then pick a motor, gearbox (if you need it for a larger prop) ESC and battery accordingly.

750 watts equal 1 hp, the Astro Flight Watt Meter is a very useful tool as it gives you amps, volts, watts for a given motor/prop system - a quote from a post in this forum (Horsepower Equivalent to Speed 400) by HitecRedneck (a moderator).
The Astro Flight Wattmeter might not be a good tool for you since you don't have a motor and prop to test. I suggest using MotorCalc (www.motocalc.com/index.html ) to get a general idea of what you are looking for.

-Q.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:19 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Converting a Hanger 9 UltraStick 40

Michael:

A fellow club member built a US electric. He used a Hacker b50 with 24 NiMh cells. Vertical out of sight. Hover. 3D.

Go for it. If you can aford it. Peformance costs money.

Twins are the reason, for the joy in the season.

Bill.