Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Secret Flying Field!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 AM
kennydee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secret Flying Field!?

I love to introduce new folks to flying. I did just that with a co-worker on a project in South Carolina. I let him use my Flight Sim and he was hooked. I sold him a Firebird Freedom that I had previously used to teach my nephews to fly. I then told him to go on the AMA site and find a flying field. I mentioned that he should be able to find someone to help him learn to fly. I forgot to tell him that the addresses that come up on the search are for the Club Official and not the flying site. He went to the address, expecting to find the site but when he didn't, he knocked on the door anyway. My friend explained that he thought he was going to the field and apologized for dropping in unannounced. When the official was asked about the flying field location, he mentioned that the location was a secret. The guy was not unfriendly but he was not very forthcoming either. My new flying buddy left with the feeling that they didn't really want him. He was discouraged but I told him that this wasn't the rule but rather the exception and to find another field. I wish the AMA site would list the field locations but I guess you can make an arguement for not doing that. But you know, if you make the location too much of a secret, then maybe nobody will come.