Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

RX freaking out

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
mludwin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX freaking out

I need help on this one.

My RX is freaking out as thought it's being hit by another TX. If this was a gas powered plane I would focus on the RX, but since it's all electric and the first time I've have something like this happen since I started using ESC/BEC I'm not sure.

When it goes all servos lock to one side or go wild. I first had it happen at the field and thought the BEC overloaded, then I got it home, checked it out and all was well. I just went back to it to check things out before flying it agian and after 2-3 minutes of messing around in the shop it freaked out again. I did crash the plane about 6 flights ago and one buddy thinks it might be the crystal.

Any ideas??

Nikitis Hod Rod foamie
Hacker A30 outrunner
Hacker X30 ESC w/BEC
JR Sport RS6UL RX
Thunder Power 1320 3c lipo
4 -HS-55 servos
Old 06-03-2006, 10:09 PM
mludwin

Default RE: RX freaking out

I can add a little more, I am swinging a 10x5e APC drawing 17amps. The 1320 is rated at 13c. I let it sit for a bit and it comes back. Then after a minute of running at 3/4 throttle (10amps) it freaks. I am leaning toward an overloaded BEC

I'm going to try running a 9x6 which draws 15 amps and see if it freaks.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 AM
lcbabj
My Feedback: (7)

1. Have you done a range check?
2. Is the antenna routed O.K.?? I.E. , not crossed anywhere or doubled over and run parallel anywhere?
3. Is the RX closer than 1& 1/2" to the ESC??
4. You may be right about overloading the ESC. After running it up, does the ESC feel pretty hot? If so, you may be overloading it. I think you're heading in the right direction by changing props to look at lower amperage draw.
5. You did not lengthen the motor wires when building the model did you?

Not trying to sound condesending because you sound experienced. Just going over some mistakes I made over the years that resulted in similar problems.

Good luck guy.

Chris
Old 06-04-2006, 08:16 AM
mludwin

Hey Chris,

No worries on sounding condesending, not at all. A good idiot check is what I'm trying to do, as in "What stupid thing did I do this time?"

This is my first dabble into foamies, so I am figuring many things out. Like foam and asphalt don't mix.

Range check - Good
Antenna - 2" section running parralel 1" apart
RX to ESC - 6" apart
Motor wires - stock length

ESC/BEC is my focus. I'm off to the field with a few smaller props. Wish me luck

Marty
Old 06-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Gary Hoorn

Auto cutoff will occur with most speed controls if the temperature goes too high. I am surprised the Hacker X30 is causing problems though. It is rated for the current you are passing. Do you have more than one Lipo to test with? If the Lipo voltage drops too far the ESC simply quits working. If it turns out to be the Lipo investigate your charging setup. It could be the ESC going bad also. I had one that worked fine for about 3 or 4 minutes and then cutoff. In addition to the usual range and control checks I also place the model in a stand fastened down and run it wide open with a Watts Up meter in the circuit before the maiden flight. I let it run to LVC and then measure temperature on the motor, ESC and Lipo. Anything out of order gets corrected before the bird takes to the air. Saves a lot of rebuilding time.
Gary
Old 06-04-2006, 07:02 PM
mludwin

I am going to confirm it was the ESC/BEC

Now that I have the system clamped to the work bench and running in a controlled enviroment, it still freaked out. Good thing I didn't really like that foamie.

When it went over the edge the motor would start varing in speed and then quit all together. I let things cool down a bit and was able to recreate the problem 3 times. I then went back and ran the system with only 2 servos and had no problems. The load on the BEC was minimal in my book .06a/.6w static draw from the servos, .25a/2.6w when with all servos moving.

Stranger things have happened. I guess it's off to Hacker to try to get a replacement or run a UBEC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49031.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	471987  
Old 06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Bec voltages drop as the power supply voltage increases, so does it's ability to support loads, most onboard 3 amp bec's will give you 3 amps at around 6 cell nicad if i'm not mistaken. I have never needed to run a parkbec and my rx's allmost allways seem fine.

I recently had some trouble though, i used some very very thin and light guage wires to extend the esc's rx leads and it caused pretty bad glitching, i guess the resistance was too much to power the radio and 4 servos. I changed them to standard servo wires and it's perfect. So extensions could be a potential source of problems.