Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Himax gears stripping

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 05:39 PM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Himax gears stripping

Hi guys,
I`m using a himax motor and gear box( 4.33 to 1) and I have stripped 3 plastic gears in about 20 flights. The pinion is brass and the gear is plastic. I have a flat on the motor shaft and the gearbox shaft. I even tried putting a small amount of Loctite on the set- screws. What more can I do? Is anybody having the same problem?
Regards,
Frank
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Himax gears stripping

Try checking the connection/fitting between the pinion and the plastic gear, the pinion should fit fairly snuggly into the plastic gear with a little space, not too snug and not to far out. I have striped a couple when the pinion was not seated far enough into the plastic gear.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 AM
skrez

Thank you for your reply fliprob17, but the Himax gearbox is set-up to self adjust and I don`t see how you can make the fit any snugger or looser.
Frank
Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Mini Funtana that had the same issue with the same setup. The motor mount clamshell doesn't allow lash adjustment, but you can get a little more gear engagement by making sure any stickers on the motor are either removed or rotated away from the spur gear towards the clamp screws. In my case, a little work with a fine sandpaper-covered dowel was needed to relieve the clamshell mount opening a bit at the top. This is a dumb design, and really needs to be fixed. I get about 20 flights per spur gear, even with the modification.

This is my first and last Himaxx gearbox.

Rick
Old 06-13-2006, 05:08 AM
skrez

Thanks Rick thats a great Idea. This is my last Himax gear box as well.
Frank
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the brake is disengaged and it is programmed for slowstart. Both are hard on the gears.