Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should a motor point a little to the right?

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Should a motor point a little to the right?

Old 06-26-2006, 01:32 PM
flightdoctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should a motor point a little to the right?

I have assembled 3 ARFs where the motor is mounted on a stick. In all three, the motor pointed slightly to the right. Is this a coincidence and a reflection of shoddily made products or is there supposed to be a slightly rightward orientation of the motor? I have made modifications to set the motors straight and the planes fly just fine, but after having this 3 times I started thinking that it might be appropriate the way the kits were made?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:37 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should a motor point a little to the right?

Yes, you need about a 3 degree down and right thrust to counteract the thrust from the motor in order for it to fly better.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:47 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should a motor point a little to the right?

If the plane showed slight right and/or down thrust assembled as per instructions, more than likely it was intended. This is a common design feature, though not universal. Some planes actually have left or up thrust designed in, however this usually depends on the overall configuration of the airplane, ie tractor/pusher, a pylon mounted motor, etc.