Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to hobby-grade RC planes/helis

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New to hobby-grade RC planes/helis

Old 07-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Turbofalcon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to hobby-grade RC planes/helis

Hi,

I actually have a (*broken*[:@]) Firebird plane, but it is just that, broken.

Anyway, I am trying to decide between a plane and a heli, then, furthermore, exactly which plane or heli.

I'd like a plane because:

They're faster than helis

are usually easier to fly

Etc.

I'd like a heli because:

With practice, can become more precise than planes

can be used in a smaller fields

etc.

Can someone help me decide?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 07-02-2006, 04:38 PM
e-sailpilot86

Default RE: New to hobby-grade RC planes/helis

Few people are ready for a heli... very few. And to sort things out, no, heli's cannot carry more payload than an airplane. However, I'm thinking you may want to reconsider whether you want to get a hobby grade model since it seems your interest related to the hobby has little to do with the hobby itself. But, if you are genuinely interested in the hobby, go with either a small electric model and before you even buy, scope out flying fields where you will have frequency control. If you dont have one, I really, really, really recommend (I'd require if I could) that you get a Spektrum DX6 Tx/Rx. If you're new and haven't looked hard into nearby flying fields, you could be causing someone to crash their model, and there's no telling what value it is.

Do these:
-Go to the local hobby shop, discuss flying fields and models with him/her.
-Join a local club to get help on deciding your priorities with the hobby.
-Use the club resources to get you flying, I generally prefer it when people are trained for the first time by model pilots
Think about whether your desires with the hobby are appropriate:
"and have a (small) chance to chase away pesky birds "
"They usually can carry more payload than than planes (you don't wanna know what I'm thinking about ) "

A high speed model is not something you're going to be able to appreciate for quite a while. You're going to have to get the thrill by watching others fly. I've never had problems with "pesky birds" and I've never desired to carry a payload for things other than aerial photography. If you're going to be chasing birds and carry a device for something inappropriate, this hobby is not for you.

I recommend for some first models the
Slow Stick
Slow-V (eh...)
Easy Star
Easy glider
Gentle Lady
or a .40 sized trainer if and only if you have flying field access. Hobbico makes an excellent one, but you must have help from an experienced pilot. Otherwise, you'll be getting yourself into trouble, be it with the saftey of others, or the parks department.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Turbofalcon

Few people are ready for a heli... very few.

Yes, I have read that they are very hard to control and part of my reason for posting the previous message was to confirm that I should get a plane, I suppose I should have worded it better.

And to sort things out, no, heli's cannot carry more payload than an airplane.

You are right, unless the heli is bigger than the plane, it cannot carry more weight.

However, I'm thinking you may want to reconsider whether you want to get a hobby grade model since it seems your interest related to the hobby has little to do with the hobby itself.

I believe I mis-represented my desire in the hobby. 95% of it is just having fun flying, the other 5% is simply the not at all inappropriate possibilities. Generally aerial view of appropriate things, such as roofs, etc.

But, if you are genuinely interested in the hobby, go with either a small electric model and before you even buy, scope out flying fields where you will have frequency control.

I am !QUOT!genuinely interested in the hobby.!QUOT! I won't need to worry about flying fields or clubs because their are plenty of clear, open fields where I live, !QUOT!in the country.!QUOT! I also understand that as a begginner I probably will crash alot until I get the hang of things, and even afterwards may suffer crashes that will seriously damage my aircraft.

If you dont have one, I really, really, really recommend (I'd require if I could) that you get a Spektrum DX6 Tx/Rx.

If I don't have a what, good flying field, or a Spektrum DX6 Tx/Rx? Is that a transmitter, reciver, or something else?

If you're new and haven't looked hard into nearby flying fields, you could be causing someone to crash their model, and there's no telling what value it is.

!QUOT!I won't need to worry about flying fields or clubs because their are plenty of clear, open fields where I live, !QUOT!in the country.!QUOT!!QUOT!

Do these:
-Go to the local hobby shop, discuss flying fields and models with him/her.

Local? Hah, that's a laugh. In my area, I'd probably have to drive 1-2 hours to get to one, since I don't have one in my own town.

-Join a local club to get help on deciding your priorities with the hobby.

As far as I know, there are none.

-Use the club resources to get you flying, I generally prefer it when people are trained for the first time by model pilots

Previous answer.

Think about whether your desires with the hobby are appropriate:

They are.

!QUOT!and have a (small) chance to chase away pesky birds !QUOT!

Obviously, whatever I get first will not be able to actually catch up to them, but I can scare them away.

!QUOT!They usually can carry more payload than than planes (you don't wanna know what I'm thinking about ) !QUOT!

As I stated at the top, I was incorrect, as everyone knows.

A high speed model is not something you're going to be able to appreciate for quite a while.

Yup.

You're going to have to get the thrill by watching others fly.

Absolutely understood.

I've never had problems with !QUOT!pesky birds!QUOT!

You obviously don't live !QUOT!in the country.!QUOT!

and I've never desired to carry a payload for things other than aerial photography.

A mini-video camera is mostly what I would be carrying, but there are a few other experiments I'd like to try.

If you're going to be chasing birds and carry a device for something inappropriate, this hobby is not for you.

Above answers.

I recommend for some first models the
Slow Stick
Slow-V (eh...)
Easy Star
Easy glider
Gentle Lady
or a .40 sized trainer if and only if you have flying field access. Hobbico makes an excellent one, but you must have help from an experienced pilot. Otherwise, you'll be getting yourself into trouble, be it with the saftey of others, or the parks department.

I don't really understand, are these planes, transmitters, or what. (and what is the (eh...) after 'Slow-V'?)

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm sorry everything I said was so confusing, and I hope this clears that up.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Turbofalcon

Somethings up with the quotes. [:@] [] [&o]
Old 07-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Hatty

Yes, those are planes he listed. And I wouldn't go gas if I were you. Electric is so much easier and you can just pick it up and go when you want. I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEE electrics.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Turbofalcon

Thanks for the replys. I'm wondering though, most of those look smaller than, but more expensive than a firebird. Are they better quality, "real" planes, or what?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Leo L

There are so many choices out there, that you really need to be alittle more specific as to what you want. Do you want a Ready To Fly (RTF) plane like your Firebird, do you want an Almost Ready To Fly (ARF) which will require you to purchase seperater electronics, or do you want to build from a kit?

What was your experience with the Firebird? Was it destroyed on the first or second flight or did you get a lot of use out of it? Did you feel comfortable with the speed of the plane?

Assuming that you are starting out with very little experience, I would first recommend a slow flying 3-channel plane. The Slow-V is an RTF and the SloStick is an ARF. They are not good looking planes, but are great for a beginner because they fly very slowly, which gives the beginner plenty of time to figure out what control inputs are needed. The down side is that they need to be flown with virtually no wind.

A step up would be the pusher 3-channel planes. They basically look like the Firebird, but have throttle, steering and elevator controls. These would be the Aerobird Challenger, T-hawk, SkyFly, RedHawk, etc. in RTF and the EasyStar in ARF (an RTF version of the EasyStar is also available).

Beyond these planes you would be getting into the intermediate level planes like the Cub, Decathlon, etc. Although people have started out with these planes, if you are inexperienced, you can plan on a lot of repair work if you choose one of these to start with.

Check out the Beginner threads here, on RCGroups and on Wattflyer to see what planes have been recommended by various flyers. Let us know what your preferences are and we'll try to help you decide on what plane to get.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Turbofalcon

Probably a RTF, as I don't want the hassle right now of choosing everything.

The firebird is my Dad's, even though he had it for 2-3 years, I never got a chance to use it. Which would make my flying experience zip (none). I am currently trying to fix it. The plane has a safety button on the side, so when you press it it turns the motor on. (assuming the battery is plugged in.) However, right now the motor usually just turns on while you are holding the motor button down, instead of you just pressing it. On the few occasions it does stay on, when launched it usually kicks off mid-flight, or does so after slowing down and hitting the ground. Could this be a connection problem in the wires? The main body is just cuffed a little, and the single wing has a few dents.

I'll answer the other questions soon...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Hatty

A few dents wont hurt. I have some on the leading edge, but just took a small amount of clear packing tape and just taped over them. As for the safety button, I wouldn't think it would be a wiring problem, but it should be the first thing you check. Resolder the connections, and if that doesn't work, then go get a new button. Radio Shack should have them. Now, if you try everything and nothing works, then you could probably just toss a switch on there (I know some of you may not agree with me on this one). Then you flip it on to turn the motor on and off to turn the motor off. Simple!

If I were you, I'd try to get that plane running before tossing a lot of money into a new plane. You then won't feel as bad if you wreck the old plane. Totaling a new plane is enough to bring you to tears.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Well, trying to diagnose and cure electronics problems when you don't really know anything about electronics is a bit of a fool's errand... Sounds like something in the onboard electronics is zorched, and coupled with the other damage to the plane, would make trying to get it in the air so frustrating that you'll probably quit in disgust...

Best to put the old broken plane aside and start fresh.

If you're going to start fresh, I recommend either the Firebird Freedom or Aerobird Challenger. A problem with the other Firebird designs is that without elevator control, flying in ANY sort of wind is a recipe for a flyaway. The Freedom and Challenger both have elevator control, which will allow you to push the nose down and power your way upwind.

Even better, the Multiplex Easy Star RTF. It's a little more expensive, but it's a "hobby-grade" plane, and a nice flyer at that. It's big enough and powerful enough to handle wind. It's made of Elapor foam which is tough and bounceable, but not squishy and wiggly like EPP, and repairs easily with regular CA. It also breaks down into small components so it fits in the car.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Turbofalcon

Hmm...
Firebird Freedom: More expensive, easier to fly (so says the website)
Aerobird Challenger: Less expensive, for more advanced pilots
Multi-Plex Easy Star: Hobby Grade, but a bit more expensive than either