Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Counter Rotating Props...!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Counter Rotating Props...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Counter Rotating Props...!!!

Ok so we have all seen the counter rotating systems with dual outrunner motors, but two motors, two escs, equals twice the damage to ones wallet...so I am just wondering if anyone would be interested in systems using a single outrunner, say the original rimfire(for size referance) something youd find on slowsticks, small park flyers, 3-D planes, which for 3-D you want a wide propwash so it doesnt really help there, but it would be cheaper than the big systems out now, and also alow more power in a model without needing to jack the landing gear up to increase clearance or a need to run a larger pitch prop, lower, it would be something like twin 8-3.8 slo-flyer props...basically I wanna know if I should persue this idea I have that could make this possible...kinda a would you buy it?...type thing

....to make it clear to all the mods, I am not attempting to sell or put up a sales pitch here, just seeing if anyones interested in an idea, to see if its worth the time....
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Vertical3-D

Default RE: Counter Rotating Props...!!!

im suprised no one has any input on this...
Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 PM
SS2P

Hi,

Can you explain a little counter rotating props do? I've used only normal outrunners so yeah.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Vertical3-D

well it simply means there would be one motor and two smaller props spinning in opposite direction, so instead of one large diamtere or higher pitched prop you could used a smaller diameter, more clearance for takeoffs and landings, just the cool factor alone in seing a set of counter rotating props would be worth it, I have an idea, its more of an adapter to a regular outrunner that would make all of this possible, although I will not give full details on my idea for obviouse reasons...If interest is shown(I am making one for myself regardless) but should there be interest I will pitch the idea to a company that could put it into production, but if it works well I am going to be sure to patent it, or do something to protect the rights, as I'd be entitled to a cut from the sales(not trying to be greedy but if I invent it and it takes off then I want a piece for the time and idea)...but it would be relatively cheap to buy if in production, should be very reliable, I should have a running prototype on a slowstick for testing by mid august, Ill Have the adapter by then, but the motors, radio, servos are all at home and Im away for school, but I'll be bringing the stuff back when I go to visit in early august...
Old 07-20-2006, 07:57 AM
mike tully

I've met a local guy who builds small gearboxes for counter-rotating prop applications. He even got it featured in Model Aviation. I doubt he has sold even a dozen of them. I don't think you will be getting rich off this...
Old 07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Vertical3-D

Actually I was not looking to, just that I love designing and building stuff that no one else has built or thought of, and besides I am not talking about a gearbox, thatd just overcomplicate the whole thing.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 AM
groundcheck

More details would be great, but I can see uses for this in fast pilon racers and clipped wing arobatic planes were prop torque can be a problem.

That and the cool factor would be great. I for one would use a 4 bladed prop if all I needed was more blade or more clearance. anytime you add more mechanicle parts, you lose some efficancy, but if torque was a problem, this would be the perfect solution.

Actualy, someday I plan to build The Bugatti 100p, and will need a setup like this.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Vertical3-D

well I am sure none of you are thinking exactly of what I have in mind, there should be very little efficency loss, If I tell you the other good thing it may give it away, but it is something that could gain back the little efficency lost, and yeah its be perfect for that plane, which is an awesome plane, If it works Id probablly build one at cost for you for that project, I just can't give to much away, cuz if all of a sudden people stop looking down on this idea then everyone and there mom will be building one to pitch to a company, Like I said it will be flying by mid august on a slowstick testbed or on one of my 3-D foamies, although it serves no benefit to 3-D but if I dont have to buy and set up another plane then it will be the best way to go, but either way it will lift off by mid august, at that time I will decide what I am going to do about protecting the rights or maybe through use of a non-diclosure clause or contract get it to a company, see where it goes, I bet the first guy to make a VPP setup was looked at as a fool, till people saw it in action an realized it, so like I said mid august, but the most you'll get it a picture of it that only shows the twin props, I"ll block off the adapter in the pics, maybe if I can get a way of doing it I'll get a vid. It's gonna be cool as hell if it works out as good as I think it will...I am suprised more people arnt interested in this idea...
Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 PM
groundcheck

if you have drawn up plans, you can seal them in an envelope, and send them to your self as a certified letter. With a goverment agency certifying the date, I.E., the post mark, its a way to prove that you invented the device in question. They call it a Poor man's pattent. its not a great substitute for a patent, but its good protection while you're working on finalizing the plans.

I have an ex girlfriend who had been through the pattent process several times. her thoughts were that she should file for a pattent before ever mentioning she even had an idea to anyone. the risk is that someone else, hearing your idea will run out and patent it, then wait untill you have spent your time developing it and then demand you pay them before you can use it.

As for the plane, I plan to build it at 1/8th scale, which is a 40 inch wingspan. I'm intrested how the props workout on your slowstick. Its my understanding that there is some turbulance as the blades pass each other, so slow rpm, high pitch is better than high rpm, low pitch, but thats as far as I got in trying to design my plane.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah thats a damn good idea, I am definatly gonna do that at some point, I have some informal plans scetched out I have sent an e-mail to electrifly...aka...great planes, saying about the idea I have but just very loosely by saying an adapter to run counter rotating props on small models, never said brushless, never said outrunner, no nothing, no hint or clue, just to see what they say as to weather they may have an interest in it, because it could serve a good purpose and be a very workable and simple, and econimical idea, in other words, very profitable if picked up and endorsed with a good name, So I'll see what they say, its looking like I have two prop choices either use zinger wooden props, or the PJS 8x4(or 8x6, not sure which it was) CF prop set they make for there twin outrunner counter setup. which compared to mine is overcomplicated, more costly and no more efficient, I am not sure it will go on a slowstick now, perhaps the pico stick F(i think thats it) or an e-starter, it will go on some cheap GWS plane though most likely, trainer style, so I can just concentrate on the motor setup, I also still need to devise a mount but Ill do that when building, I cant wait to get this thing working, I will also try to get one on a 3-d plane as it serve one purpose, a hover with no torque affect, and be able to rotate either way equally while hovering...also its just so cool to see counter rotating props running, you'll also be happy to know that scaling my system up or down for size requirements is very easily done, one size will cover a variety, but with the new larger stuff coming out I can't cater one system to everyone...
Old 07-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Vertical3-D

Ok, prototype/testbed has been selected, Ill use the GWS pico stick F, and will start with two zinger 7x4 wooden props, powered by electrifly gear, futaba skysport 4 radio, futaba servos. Flying by mid august wont be a problem, probablly within a week of august 5th which is when I'll be bringing shipping my gear back to here, by the way I will be home to central PA to atend the Liberty Bell jet ralley, which is held at Decks airport, not more than 5 minutes from my house...should be a good time...
Old 07-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Vertical3-D

posted in the pattern forum called "wanna get rid or torque" so check it out, its generating some decent interest there, so I will primarily be using that thread to talk about this...so go check it out if interested...