Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hobby Lobby Firecat question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hobby Lobby Firecat question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 12:42 AM
radude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby Firecat question

I just bought a firecat with all of the recommended equipment- jeti 15/4 motor, 1200 7 cell battery, everything. The video on their website shows this setup with the 10x4 prop getting unlimited vertical. What can I do to get more performance out of this plane without buying a new motor?

Note: I tried gearing down the motor 2.5 to 1 with a 12x8 prop, turning 4900 RPM and still no vertical. Motocalc said this combo would work better- but it doesn't.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:31 PM
GaryB-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

...i'm running mine with the same motor & 8-CP1700's; i think the prop is an Aeronaut 9.5x6 - it pulls just over 40 amps static on a peaked pack - very good vertical, but not unlimited - i'd say on takeoff my vertical is similar to the HL video - but i didn't think it was unlimited on the video, either...

...my AUW is somewhere around 39 oz. with the 8 cell pack - for truly unlimited vertical you would probably need something like a geared Hacker 40S - but that would be heavier...
Old 02-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

I used to have a 15/4 in my firecat with 8x1700CP using an 8x6 prop. It flew really nice with that setup but didn't have unlimited vertical or wasn't that 3D, just a really good sport plane.
Then I put a 2:1 mega gearbox on the 15/4 and went to 10x1700CP and it hovered ok and vertical was better and it could do more 3D. It was just heavier and landed faster. But the setup worked well.
Now I have the ultimate motor in my firecat, a 350-15 flyware outrunner motor. I didnt try it yet, but it uses 8 cells, and really has the power. It hovers 5lbs pound plane like nothing!!! So it should really make the firecat perform. I just need to get a 70AMp brushless controller for it