Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Putting together an Ultra Mini Stick package?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Putting together an Ultra Mini Stick package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Toker41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting together an Ultra Mini Stick package?

K,
I've decided to go with the Eflite Ultra Mini Stick. After some research, I have also decided to go with the Hitec Optic 6 so that I can have 1 radio without being locked into on channel. I'm planning on buying this plug n play package:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2350

I'm going to start ordering this stuff in the next week, with hopes on having it in the air in 2 weeks. This will be the first plane I build myself, other than RTF foamies, and a glow trainer I bought already assembled. Any suggestions on upgrades for this package? Should I use different servos, is the motor any good? How about on a receiver, battery choice (I am thinking about getting two 3cell lipoly 2100mAh), a good charger that will work at the field or at home, and charge fast? Or anything else anyone feels I will need. I will be flying this at the smaller electric club field, and a large glow club field.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:10 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Default RE: Putting together an Ultra Mini Stick package?

That's a pretty good package, just about what I put together except for the servos and radio. I'm using a Hitec Eclipse with an Electron 6 RX with Hitec HS85BB servos. I like the power of the EFlite 450, it flies my plane very well. The plane will take off from grass with no problems. As for batteries, I'm using Hyperion and Polyquest 2100's. My charger is an FMA Cellpro 4S balancing charger. I got the adapter from them so I could charge Polyquest and ThunderPower batteries. Hyperion use Polyquest taps. It's a great charger and pretty much automatic and you can't beat the fact that it balances the cells as you charge. I recently bought their new Ultra Stik 25E.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:44 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I went with the same Plug-N-PLay package and I'm using a Spektrum DX-6 TX/RX (I really like this radio -- take a peek at specs, etc. at horizonhobby.com. I'm also using an APEX 3s 2100mah li-po which is about 60% of the cost of a regular Thunder Power. I also own a TP 3S 2100 mah and both of these batteries function great. Check with www.cheapbatterypacks.com.

I have six planes (MUS, Parkzone Typhoon, J-3 Cub and Stryker 27B plus Parkflyers Cessna 182 and Eflite Ultimate FX) and the Mini Ultra Stick is my favorite in quality and flight performance. Great airplane.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:35 AM
Toker41

I like the idea of cheaper batteries. The Thunderbirds are about $80 a pop, and since I would like 2 or 3 batteries, it's a bit rich.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

jmir..I am about to plunge into electrics.last season I tried a parkzone mustang it was ok but not impressive.over the winter I bought a hanger 9 stick for my os 91..so I am thinking of a mini ltra stick by all counts everyone really likes them.soooo I am going to get a hitec flight pack and as for batteries would a 1320 li po 2 or 3 cell be enough..I use my funtana for harrowing flight ..this just for great aerobatic sport flying.also I see the mmini pulse .tough choice ??
Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Toker41

With a 3s 2100mAh I'm only getting about 11 minutes of flight time on my MUS. I would not go with anything less than an 1800mAh.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 PM
j stumbler

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

jmir..I am about to plunge into electrics.last season I tried a parkzone mustang it was ok but not impressive.over the winter I bought a hanger 9 stick for my os 91..so I am thinking of a mini ltra stick by all counts everyone really likes them.soooo I am going to get a hitec flight pack and as for batteries would a 1320 li po 2 or 3 cell be enough..I use my funtana for harrowing flight ..this just for great aerobatic sport flying.also I see the mmini pulse .tough choice ??
cloudancer,

For the planes you mentioned, the power system you would need to fly them (something along the lines of a park 450, or 480 to really move) might be drawing too many amps for a 1320 lipo. The 450 outrunner is about a 14amp motor, so a [link=http://www.commonsenserc.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_25&products_id=127]15c 1500mah lipo[/link] puts you at 22amps continuous, so you are more than covered there. The park 480 is about a 20amp motor, so I fly mine with [link=https://www.commonsenserc.com/index.php?cPath=37_25&sort=products_sort_order&page=2]a 15c 2100mah battery[/link] with puts me at about a 30amp continuous battery, so again, I'm well underneath the limits of the lipo.

I hope that helps,
Al
[link=http://www.commonsenserc.com]www.CommonSenseRC.com[/link]
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 AM
cloudancer03

thanks.I decided to go with a mini stick as I also received at xmas a hanger 9 stick for my four stroke.so it seems to make sense just have the smae thing.the stock motor is a 450 eflite.I have a trition and havnt made any decision about battery brand.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: cloudancer03

The stock motor is a 450 eflite.
I fly a lot of Ultra Sticks.......a lot. The Plug-N-Play is a nice package, but for a little more you can go killer. I like to use the E Flite 480 motor. The performance on a Mini Ultra Stick is is absolutely blinding. Of course you will need the E Flite 40 amp speed controller. The regular Mini Ultra Stick doesn't come with servos, so you need some of those. I've always used the Hi Tech HS55s, which seem to be industry standard for this size plane.

Of course you are going to spend a little more money, but by the time you're done it's only about $80 for a massive performance upgrade. The 450 is a nice little motor, but the 480 has so much more brute, gut wrenching torque and speed that for me it's a no brainer.

I have a trition and havnt made any decision about battery brand.
I have one of the original Tritons and it works just fine. The Triton only charges up to 2.5 amps, but all you can use on a 2100 mah battery is 2.1 amps anyway. You won't need anything else until you start getting into bigger electrics.

If you go with the 450 motor, it will run about 15 minutes or so on a 1320 pack if you only fly moderately hard. Some guys are air hogs and want more time, so they go with the 2100 pack. I suggest you go with a 2100 anyway because you will want a bigger battery for when you go to a bigger motor. If you go with the 480, you definately want to run a 2100, and that will also give you about 15 minutes.

I recommend the new Thunder Power extreme series. Someone with more electric knowledge that I will have to explain it, but the Extreme series has a higher C rating. The bottom line is that you can pull the current out of it much faster than the old batteries, and they will run much cooler. The extreme series 2100 pack (it's really a 2080 or something) is about the same price as the old battery, so this is a no brainer too.

Ether way, I don't think you can go wrong. I just like a lot of power and the 450 is not nearly enough for me. The 480 is right on the edge of too much power for the airframe, but my friends and I haven't blown one up yet.

As an alternative, look at the Mini Pulse. I also run a 480 in one of those, and it's a raging little monster. It flies a little differently from the Stick, but I like it just as much. Some things I can't get away with using an Ultra Stick I can pull off with the Mini Pulse. The Pulse is also much, much more attractive than and Ultra Stick, and it's available in a Plug-N-Play as well. The PNP, however, still uses a 450, which is enough for most people.

But, here's the Mini Pulse with a 480 in it. You can expect the same kind of performance with a 480 powered Ultra Stick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawC-C9JMWA

EDIT: Well, now I feel stupid. It's early in the morning and I'm not awake enough to realize I'm quoting my friend cloudancer03, and he's heard all this 100 times from me!

So, did you get the Pulse or the Ultra Stick? I'm going out today about 11 or so. I'll bring a Stick and we can race. That will wake them up out there!

I'll leave the first part of the post because it might be useful info for others.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Toker41

I sure would like to know how you are getting 15 minutes? I'm using a TP 2100 with the 450 PnP, and I get 11 minutes tops.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:21 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

I use a timer when flying my MUS. It's the PNP version with 450 E-flite using Spektrum DX6 Tx/Rx and a 3S 11.1V 2100 Mah li-po. I set my timer for 18 minutes. I fly 1/2 to 3/4 throttle most of the time. I go full throttle when doing some aerobatics or flying against the wind on windy days. I do several landings when flying along with some touch-n-go's. I take it in for a final landing soon after I hear the timer go off.

When I charge my battery, it usually takes about 1800 to 1900 mah's to get it back to full capacity. I could probably keep flying for another minute or so before the power gets drastically reduced.

I've never flown full throttle during most of the flight. If so, I guess I could probably get around 12 to 15 minutes of flying time.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Toker41

yeah, I fly my MUS pretty much wide open for the entire flight. I've been using my 1800mAh 10c batteries in it as well as my 2100 15c. I dont' notice any difference in power or flight time.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:55 PM
fawcet

I put an Ultra Mini together a month or so ago. I have had serious flying problems. I have continued to move the CG forward of the manual setting but it is still wild. Two other pilots tried it with the same results. Please let me know if the manual CG works on your model.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:30 AM
cloudancer03

lol.sorry austin didnt mean for that to occur.will call archie and hopefully get it going if not we can go to plan B !I cant imagine going wrong with either plane both appear to be the gold standard for electrics.yeah the mini pulse is a bit dressier but having had a gas stick I think the sticks are equally as nice and like you said perhaps a bit sturdier.remember you havent seen me fly yet.